Martin M36 (0000) Guitar Plans

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
scamp

Martin M36 (0000) Guitar Plans

Post by scamp »

I am very interested in building a Martin 14 or possibly 12 fret M36 (0000) body style guitar.
I would like to get plans for this guitar so I can take a look at them but I can't seem to find any on line.
Does anyone know how I can get plans for this guitar?
It would be great if I could get both 12 and 14 fret designs as I believe the bracing is different.

Thanks
Stray Feathers

Re: Martin M36 (0000) Guitar Plans

Post by Stray Feathers »

Bruce (BEJ) had a useful thread on here:

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=4939&hilit=Laskin

He was building guitars after a design by Grit Laskin which is very close in size to a 0000/Grand Auditorium guitar. It appears in an issue of Fine Woodworking but is not a full-size plan (link below). Laskin uses symmetrical X-bracing like Larrivée (where he got started) and the plan is metric so takes a little arithmetic if you need imperial.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/1987/12 ... ing-guitar

It's not what you asked for, but may give you more food for thought. Cumpiano also made a GA in his book; I have a plan for that guitar I was given (have not made one yet) but I don't know where you might find a copy. Bruce W.
scamp

Post by scamp »

Stray Feathers wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:14 pm Bruce (BEJ) had a useful thread on here:

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=4939&hilit=Laskin

He was building guitars after a design by Grit Laskin which is very close in size to a 0000/Grand Auditorium guitar. It appears in an issue of Fine Woodworking but is not a full-size plan (link below). Laskin uses symmetrical X-bracing like Larrivée (where he got started) and the plan is metric so takes a little arithmetic if you need imperial.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/1987/12 ... ing-guitar

It's not what you asked for, but may give you more food for thought. Cumpiano also made a GA in his book; I have a plan for that guitar I was given (have not made one yet) but I don't know where you might find a copy. Bruce W.

Thanks. The Laskin design is very close to the 0000 guitar it appears. The body of the Laskin design looks a bit deeper ( the M36 body depth at the low bout is I believe the same as an OM or about 4.125 inches and the Laskin is about 4.33 inches ). The basic shape looks almost identical ( OM size upper bout and jumbo lower bout ). The tone bars/bracing is also different I think but not 100% sure. Anyway, thanks for sending this and it does help.

Scamp
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I have the 0000 in both 12 and 14 fret Martin made a custom run of the 0000-12 frets for george gruhn and I had wayne make me one. I have made a few and I think they are the best sounding guitar period. Thinner body but have the big sound . They make great fingerpicking guitars.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
scamp

Post by scamp »

tippie53 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:37 am I have the 0000 in both 12 and 14 fret Martin made a custom run of the 0000-12 frets for george gruhn and I had wayne make me one. I have made a few and I think they are the best sounding guitar period. Thinner body but have the big sound . They make great fingerpicking guitars.
I agree with you. I played a 0000-14 fret Martin M36 at my local guitar shop and it was the best sounding guitar I have played as well. It had many of the best properties of a combined OM 28 and a D28. A very balanced sound in my judgement. That's why I want to build one. Don't know why they aren't more popular.

Still trying to decide if I want a 12 or 14 fret version. I'm leaning towards a 12 fret. I enjoy both finger picking as well as strumming. I would be interested in which one you prefer since you seem to have played both.

Also, i would be interested in getting plans for this guitar if you know where I and find/buy them. At this point I'm assuming it has the same forward shifted scalloped bracing as a J40 but I can't find any plans for this guitar as well.

Regards
Scamp
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

if your A finger picker the 12 fret is AMAZING I have one and its killer
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com