Nut File Selection

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
phavriluk

Re: Nut File Selection

Post by phavriluk »

Diane, I just looked at Amazon, the same size abrasive cord is offered in a bunch of grit materials and grit roughness. I'd love some more detail. Thanks for sharing. .
peter havriluk
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

phavriluk wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:52 am Diane, I just looked at Amazon, the same size abrasive cord is offered in a bunch of grit materials and grit roughness. I'd love some more detail. Thanks for sharing. .
Refer to the photos guys.

I initially saw and bought the set from stewmac, in 4 sizes, largest to smallest: 52, 54, 55, 60.

I've found that I rarely, if ever use the smallest (60) which is tiny. The largest (52) will work in string #6 slot and possibly string #5 slot (depending on size). The next size down (54) I use 99.9% of the time. Sometimes I use size 55.

I've photographed the cord, and an old nut. You'll see the size of the string, in relation to the nut slots in the photos. Essentially, I need to order more today. I've ordered (from Amazon) #54-c cord, and #55-c. (The link to 54-c is below).

All you do is take size 54, and wind it around, which makes it big enough for your large fretslots, then unwind it and continue to use it in the rest of the slots. It may be too big for string 1 slot, so I keep size 55 on hand.

Don't waste your money on any others, unless you have other use for them. But, you floss this 180g abrasive cord through all slots, and it'll smooth all edges and surfaces, allowing the strings to glide through the slots.

This isn't one time use. I reuse the cord, until it breaks or obviously isn't cutting anymore. This stuff goes a long way.

I just ordered this for the shop:

Mitchell Abrasives 54-C Round Crocus Polishing Cord, .030" Diameter x 50 Feet https://a.co/d/8jP2bBw
20220727_131742.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've ordered this one too. 120g or 200g does just fine. Get whichever is cheaper guys!

Mitchell Abrasives 55-S Round Abrasive Cord, Silicon Carbide 200 Grit .018" Diameter x 50 Feet https://a.co/d/0uXscPF
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com