Installing Nut on Guitar Neck

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
scamp

Installing Nut on Guitar Neck

Post by scamp »

The guitar neck in my kit does not have a finished slot for the nut.
I need to cut an accurate notch for the nut in the neck.
I am struggling a bit on how to do this and not mess it up.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Scamp
phavriluk

Re: Installing Nut on Guitar Neck

Post by phavriluk »

Scamp,

You would be the first person I knew of to slot a neck for a nut. What are you trying to accomplish? Please lead me to an example. Meanwhile, back away from the tools.
peter havriluk
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82JDqAbY-dU

the fact is unless you have a production guitar there is no nut that will just drop in
this video will help you . Take your time and remember to think roller not ramp at the bottom of the slot
Also once you get the spacing set as you set the nut slot fret the 3rd fret this set a line between the 2nd fret and nut so you can see the clearance over the first fret.
I like to see about .006 in
once you have the set you can take the trim off the G string use the core and then loop that under the string and you can take the nut slot down to the point of just touching the strings as they are plucked

this should give you a good feel on the strings.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
carld05

Post by carld05 »

The nut fits between the angled edge of the peghead veneer and the fingerboard, so slots are usually not cut in the neck itself. I've had to trim the edge of the veneer back a few times to accommodate the width of the nut.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Like this:
nut slot.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
scamp

Post by scamp »

carld05 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:09 pm The nut fits between the angled edge of the peghead veneer and the fingerboard, so slots are usually not cut in the neck itself. I've had to trim the edge of the veneer back a few times to accommodate the width of the nut.
The situation you describe is what I'm up against. I need to trim back the veneer it appears. The problem is trying to cut the veneer exactly parallel to the end of the fretboard ( at a distance slightly less than the width of the nut material which is about 1/4 inch ) and at the correct angle ( perpendicular to the fret board and not perpendicular to the peghead ). I was wondering if anyone had a good method to do this. Right now I think I will probably make an edge guide for my pull saw I can tape to the peg head with the correct angle to make a cut perpendicular to the end of the fret board to cut through the veneer. I will then use a file to clean out the nut slot.
jread

Post by jread »

scamp wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:01 pm
carld05 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:09 pm ... Right now I think I will probably make an edge guide for my pull saw I can tape to the peg head with the correct angle to make a cut perpendicular to the end of the fret board to cut through the veneer. I will then use a file to clean out the nut slot.
That's just what I do. When I glue the overlay veneer onto the peghead, I make it a about 1/2 way into the nut slot. Then use the method you describe to trim it back and get the nut to drop down in. I mark the slot width with the nut that will go in. Pay attention to trying to get the nut to sit flush in the slot. I small, sharp chisel will help.
John Reid

Post by John Reid »

Here’s what I did. I thought a picture might help. I used the top piece of plywood as a guide and adjusted its position to shift the router bit as I cut the width.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I have seen too many neck headstocks cracked from "nut slot" I think in this case he may be speaking of the slots in the nut
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

When faced with this situation, I have also done what John Reid describes. It might not work if the neck is designed so that the nut sits on the headstock itself and not the neck, i.e. with an angled bottom instead of a flat bottom ("Martin-style" nuts are sold with an angled bottom for this reason.) If the slot is almost wide enough, it may be easier just to sand the nut a little thinner, like sanding a saddle to fit the slot. If you goof, another nut is cheap to buy. Bruce W.