Nut Shape Question

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
sjhouska

Nut Shape Question

Post by sjhouska »

The nut that is included in my Martin 000 kit came pre-countoured with a tapered height. It was approx 9/32" (0.275", 7mm) high on the treble end, and 21/64" (0.321", 8.2 mm) on the bass end. It was 2" long. The low treble end rose to the full height about 3/4" from the treble end. To cut the length to match my fingerboard/neck width, I removed approx. 1/4" from the bass end. My thinking was that the pre-contoured treble height was purposeful, so I chose to preserve that height on the treble end.

Now I am wondering if I should have removed equal amounts from each end of the nut, when I cut/sanded the nut to
its final length. I don't recall seeing mention of nut contour along the treble-to-bass length (only the "shoulder" rounding on the peghead side of the nut) in Youtube vids I have watched, or in the Bill Cory book, and I couldn't find anything on this forum. So, maybe the height contour doesn't matter that much and I am okay to use the nut I have.

Am I okay gluing the nut I have onto the neck and slotting the, or should I order a new nut and do something differently when I trim it to match my neck/fingerboard width?

Thanks for any input.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Nut Shape Question

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You should be okay, but you may need to adjust the nut height. We usually just use nut blanks, which are pieces of bone that are ~ 2.5" long, 1/4" wide, and 3/8" high.

Have you seen a video showing you how to use a flattened pencil to mark a nut contour? Basically, shave the side of a pencil so that it's flat on one side, to the point. Lay the flat side on top of fret 1 and if it's long enough, skirt frets 1 and 2. Keeping it level, run it back and forth so that you're marking the nut on the fret side. This line represents the top of the nut, as well as initial depth for the slots.

File or sand the top of the nut until your to the TOP of your drawn line. Don't go into the line, just to the top. This is how high you need the nut. When you slot the nut, you slot into the line, to the bottom of the line. This is usually a very good starting depth.

I'll find you a video.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Robbie uses this technique for making nuts.

https://youtu.be/otkbEVz-8aA
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
sjhouska

Post by sjhouska »

Thank you for the info and for the link to the O'Brien vid. I am back on track.

The "half pencil" method of marking is very useful.
JLT

Post by JLT »

You might find Frank Ford's web site useful:

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier ... wnut1.html

In fact, the Frets website is a gold mine of information for anyone interested in stringed instruments. If you want to learn about the Force, then go to Yoda. If you want to learn about guitars and such, go to Frank Ford.

And, on the subject of making nuts, here's my own lowly contribution to the art:

http://dragonwing.biz/nutcase.htm
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Nice writeup. Thank you for sharing.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

My shop is quite busy. I'm old school, so I prefer analog gauges. I use a Swiss made vintage vernier caliper now, after having to replace my rather expensive Japanese dial caliper. They dont bounce well off of concrete.

But I caved and bought LMII's digital string height gauge. I do setups, nuts, and saddles, everyday of the week and twice on Sundays. It's a well thought out gauge. It's cut my nut making and setup time in half.

https://www.lmii.com/measuring-tools/28 ... gauge.html
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Thanks Diane for the LMII string height gauge tip. I believe I'm gonna need to get that. I second the recommendation on the half pencil technique for nut shapes -- simple, effective and inexpensive.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I can make a nut in a few minutes after years of doing it I do it free hand.
I like to see a taper to the nut and I am of the school that the nut should hold the strings to keep them popping off the nut , I know some guys like about 1/2 the string exposed I prefer it seated all the way

I also like my nut slots so the are not ramped think roller so you have a nice soft curve in the nut slot. Then when setting the slots I want the nut slot close to the fret.

Here is a technique I use for setting the depth of this slot , I have a .007 notch on a .009 feeler gauge, I want the notched part to slip into the slot and the wall to stop the gauge this sets you up with a slightly higher nut slot. Once tuned to pitch you take a .009 string and slide this under the string when plucked. That way you know you have a little clearance under the string to the fret to avoid buzzing.
When you fret the 3rd fret side of the 3nd fret you can see the clearance of the string line to the fret plane. If you go too low you have buzzing to high you have to work harder. So take your time and to learn this technique get a few nuts , and take them to the point of buzzing so you know visually using the strings and fret plane how far you can go.
You can train your eyes and after 1000s of nuts and set ups I have learned a few things.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I'm having trouble visualizing what you're doing with the feeler gauge. A picture, perhaps?
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion