Dip in Bridge Area

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
sjhouska

Re: Dip in Bridge Area

Post by sjhouska »

The rest of the story (for those of you who may remember Paul Harvey's AM radio bits decades ago . . . Per suggestions (Thank you Maine geezer and Diane), I am using a trash bag and sponge in a fenestrated plastic container. The top took several days to begin to change and now, after almost a week, the dip is essentially gone.

My legit humidifier is up and running and I am feeling good about the top dip issue and relative humidity in general.

Thank you everyone!
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Excellent! It does mean though, that you're probably going to need a winter saddle and a summer saddle of different heights to get the action correct, or you're going to have to pay very close attention to the humidity.

Some guitars seem to be more sensitive to humidity changes than others. I don't know why; does anybody?
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Oh, great news!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

MaineGeezer wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:21 pm Excellent! It does mean though, that you're probably going to need a winter saddle and a summer saddle of different heights to get the action correct, or you're going to have to pay very close attention to the humidity.

Some guitars seem to be more sensitive to humidity changes than others. I don't know why; does anybody?
My theory is that wood reaction to humidity depends on how long the wood has been hanging around. I think the newer the wood (fresher cut), the more inclined it is to react to humidity. The older it is, the cells in the wood have collapsed or are collapsing, leaving less room for water molecules.

Also, it's species dependant. Denser woods with small cells maintain humidity levels better. Ebony doesn't seem as reactive as spruce. Both have no pores, but ebony is dense. Hard maple is denser and doesn't seem to react as readily as spruce.

At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com