Cloth Patch over X-Brace

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
scamp

Cloth Patch over X-Brace

Post by scamp »

In my kit I received a small round cloth "patch" that I assume is somehow glued over the X-brace.
Did some web surfing and it seems that this cloth somehow adds strength to the joint ( hard to believe).
Anyway, I assume you just soak the cloth in Titebond and form it over the brace and let it dry.
Is this correct??
jread

Re: Cloth Patch over X-Brace

Post by jread »

I hate to make this sound complicated… it’s not.

I have come to this method. I put spray adhesive on the cloth and put it over the X to get it to sit tight and hold the braces. Then I drip CA onto it once it is in a position I like. I tack it down because the ca on cotton cures immediately and I had issues with them flapping up.

Haven’t tried tight bond it prob would work better. :D. It works for the ribbon struts so yeah. Hmm.

I like using the patch just out of tradition. You can see it through the sound hole when complete.

Here's a pic of one I did today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jread on Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Titebond works for that
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

You can also do this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carld05

Post by carld05 »

I do it like Bruce and use a shaving from brace carving. Nice and thin.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the cloth is better . I have seen many wood slices fail cloth does a better job with the vibration
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've used cloth and wood. I use cloth exclusively now. Using Tweezers, I dip the patch in the glue that I use (hot hide, in my case), then I put it on the x and smooth it out with a wet finger.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Jhunt

Post by Jhunt »

tippie53 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:43 pm the cloth is better . I have seen many wood slices fail cloth does a better job with the vibration

I already made a wood cap and then saw this post. Would there be harm in placing the cloth piece over the wood cap?
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

that would be redundant just use cloth if it fails . It seems people misunderstand the job of the X braces. They move and are not a floor joint. The vibration over time will pop the joint. In 25 years I have not seen 1 cloth fail without reason. ( I put in a wet rag for humidty) the usual cause.
just be aware of it and fix it when if need to. Just because I have seen many fail doesn't mean they all fail
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Jhunt

Post by Jhunt »

Thanks, John.