Guitar Tail End Wedge Install

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
scamp

Guitar Tail End Wedge Install

Post by scamp »

Starting to think about how and when to install the inlay end tail wedge.
Kit came with plastic wedge and thin black/white perfling material.
I think it makes sense to install it before I put the top and back on the guitar.
Does this make sense?
Also, when routing the binding you would need to rout through this plastic material.
Is there any issue with doing this?
Skarsaune

Re: Guitar Tail End Wedge Install

Post by Skarsaune »

Its kind of hard to hold the sides still, without the top and back attached, to inlay the end graft. It would get pretty squirmy.

Most folks do it after the box is closed. The assembly is a lot sturdier and easier to hold on to.

That’s how I’ve always done mine.
scamp

Post by scamp »

It's interesting. I see people doing it before and after the top/bottom are on.
If the top and bottom are on I assume the wedge goes right through the bottom edge of the top and bottom.
Ultimately, it doesn't matter as the top and bottom get routed for the binding anyway.
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

If you do it before closing the box, you will have to trim back the ends so the top and back can go on, before you know exactly where the binding channels will end up. Easier (I think) to close the box, rout the binding channels, and fit the end graft, letting the ends run long. Then trim them as you fit the bindings and purflings. Bruce W.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Scot
I have done it both ways. Before the top and back are attached and after they are attached, but before routing binding channels.
If you want to do it before the process is pretty simple.
Clamp a 2 x 4 in a vise or to your bench. Set the sides end block down on the 2 x 4. It should sit there relatively flat. Clamp your sides to the board when you use what ever for a straight edge to mark out and cut each side for the wedge to fit into. I use a razor knife along a straight edge making multiple cuts until I'm down to the end block (thru the side material. When both sides of your wedge shape channel are cut its easy to come in with a chisel and remove the side material flush with your end block. Clean it up and slide your tail wedge in for a tight fit. Clean up the channel sides as necessary for a seamless fit.
Robbie O'Brien has a great video on how to do this.
Go to the LMI website, look for the how too videos on end wedges. You will understand it all clearly.
I often do this now with the top and back on but you need a way to Clamp the guitar body with the tail end UP so you can perform basically the same process. A razor saw can also be used to cut the channel sides for your wedge. I find the razor knife does a cleaner job.
Routing the binding channels thru the end wedge is a no issue.
Call me if you need help or have questions.

Kevin
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I do it after I close the box and get the top and back flush to the side . sand level than rout the binding
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
scamp

Post by scamp »

Took your advice and waited until I closed up the box to do this.
Definitely the way to go.
You can really line it up nicely with the center line of the guitar.

Thought I would share how it came out.
Tail Wedge.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Looks great, like you've been doing it your whole life!
jread

Post by jread »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:51 am Looks great, like you've been doing it your whole life!
Right? Looks like an old pro. I think he's toying with us. Mine seem always seem to be crooked ( according to the Mrs. ) :D
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Very tasty! Looks like you are taking your time and getting clean results.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City