Installation of Truss Rod

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Installation of Truss Rod

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

They wrap the rod to help with potential rattling.
On my first guitar build back in 2008 I built a LMI dread kit. It came with their 2 way truss rod. I did not glue in the rod nor lay any silicone under it in the channel.
When the guitar was finished and played for awhile it developed a rattle in the neck when I'd play a certain frequency. Arg!
So this is a bolt on neck mortise and tenon and I did NOT glue down the fretboard extension so I easily removed the neck and drilled a long hole along side the tenon up into the truss rod slot. Then I injected silicone into the slot. Not sure how much got in there but some did, and it was enough to solve that problem. 12 years later I still play this guitar and it has never again rattled, and yes the rod adjusts just fine.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Installation of Truss Rod

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've used both silicone and titebond in the channel, even though my rods have a nice firm fit. I used silicone on my first 2 builds and have used titebond ever since. I've had to remove a rod from each of these adhesives without consequences.

I just use a thin line at the bottom of the channel. I just use titebond now, because it's handy in the shop.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com