Fret Board Width

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
scamp

Fret Board Width

Post by scamp »

My OM guitar kit came with a fret board that is wide and needs to be trimmed to fit the neck.
Any suggestions on proper width and how best to trim it.

Thanks
Skarsaune

Re: Fret Board Width

Post by Skarsaune »

Depends on the tools you have available and how much needs to come off. And, is your neck pre-shaped? If so, the fretboard needs to match it. You can use the neck as a template.

Fretboards have a slight taper on each side relative to center. When finished, they are usually 1 11/16 or 1 3/4” at the nut/small end.

If it is a good bit of material, I’d use a taper jig in the table saw or band saw before the fret board is attached to the neck. A jointer works too.

If it’s just a little bit, you can trim the excess after the fretboard is attached. Use the neck as your guide/template. Rasp, file, sandpaper all work for this.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

first off don't do anything till your ready to glue it on the neck
basically you will glue it on your guitar , then sand it. Use a long straight sanding block say about 6 in long
you want it to sand flush to the neck
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
scamp

Post by scamp »

Thanks John
Makes sense.
I was a bit confused.

On one of your videos, you install the metal frets on an unglued fret board.
My assumption is that you sanded the fret board down to the right size before you did this.
It seemed like it would be near impossible to sand down the fret board with metal frets installed.
Hence, I am assuming you don't put the metal frets on until the neck is on the guitar as well.
Is that correct?

John
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I stopped doing that , I find it is best if you true the fretboard on the neck then fret.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
scamp

Post by scamp »

Interesting. When I get to the point where I’m ready to fret the board I’ll contact you for suggestions on how to do it. I’m not sure how to support the neck adequately to take the shock caused by hammering in the frets. The neck cedar is rather soft. I’m sure you have figured this out.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

your neck is mohagany and yes it isn't that hard , you basically just hold it. Your tapping not hitting
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
scamp

Post by scamp »

OK. Thanks. I thought my neck was Cedar and might be a problem because it was so soft.