First Time Binding Jig

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
scamp

First Time Binding Jig

Post by scamp »

Investigating how I want to rout the binding channel on my first guitar build.
It appears that quite a few first time builders start with a Dremel tool with some kind of attachment to correct for the top and bottom angle ( to save money).
Unfortunately, in the end they don't seem really happy with the results.
If they build more guitars it seems they tend to invest in a better jig using a router.

So... I think I would prefer to make the leap to a reasonable router and jig solution from the start that is more dependable.

Unfortunately, the price for most of the better type router jigs on line is rather expensive ( $300 to $400 not including the router ).
I guess I could build my own jig and that is an option I am currently considering.
I did, however, find what seems like a potentially reasonably priced jig ( about half the price of other solutions) from a company called Elmer Guitar with reasonable reviews ( if you can believe them).
Wondering if anyone has used this solution and if it is any good or has any other binding router suggestions for a newbie

Thanks
carld05

Re: First Time Binding Jig

Post by carld05 »

Check out this tread from February. viewtopic.php?f=47&t=9604. Several good suggestions there including mine.
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

A virtue that I think shouldn't be discounted is a tool design that directs errors away from the guitar body. KMG's designs do that, and I'm using a KMG router guide for my binding cutting. Practice makes perfect.
peter havriluk
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I built a binding machine that was pretty much a copy of the Fleishman machine John sells. See viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8331

It's a lot of work, but if you have more time than money, it's an option worth considering.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion