Binding Method for Beginner

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Slowpicker

Binding Method for Beginner

Post by Slowpicker »

I feel like I have done a week's worth of research into how to best cut binding channels. Gramil, handheld jig for a router, bench mounted vertical holder, Fleishman rig, Elevate cutter. I'm tired of looking and need to make a decision. This is my first acoustic, but I plan to do more. How many, I don't know. I don't really want to go all in and buy $500 worth of equipment for binding my first guitar, but I want to do it well and do it many more times.

I have a Bosch Colt router already, and I like building my own tools, so if there's a good DIY option, that might be worth exploring as well.

So, should I do the first one the hard way, by hand? Is there is a happy medium between weilding a router spinning at 20k rpm by hand and plunking down $500 to have a perfect rig? Oh, and is there any good source for used equipment?
jread

Re: Binding Method for Beginner

Post by jread »

Just my 2 cents, I started with a botch colt and made the Bill Cory router guide to fit into the base. I did several guitars like this, I started doing them without the guide as I was comfortable with the router in my hand but my honest opinion is that I wished I bought the binding machine sooner. Perhaps if it's your 1st, you might want to try it by hand but my guitars have typical areas of thin binding before I learned to really prepare the channels. I had to rebind a couple as well.

Search this forum there are some good articles on prepping and testing the channels. My manual routing would have been better if I had those skills sooner too. With a machine, they just come out visibly more consistent with very little sanding and scraping needed after install but you can still test along they way.
Last edited by jread on Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carld05

Post by carld05 »

I made my own from instructions posted several years ago by "Lillian" over on ANZLF.
http://www.anzlf.com/viewtopic.php?f=1& ... inding+jig
Looks similar to other tower type binding rigs like SM's.
Uses parts from 8020.net. I made some design changes and used a HF router (should change over to the Colt). The hardest for me was shaping the donut to ride on the edge of the top and back and that could be better. Also made a carriage to hold the guitar sides perpendicular to the table top while rotating it under the tower. Works good!l
PICT0162.JPG
PICT0160.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Reid

Post by John Reid »

I decided on the middle-ground of making my own. I did this because I had a nice, but heavy router I wanted to use and because I enjoy making jigs. Took several weeks of research and construction. I had a bit of a laugh, because after all that preparation and construction, cutting the binding took just a few minutes. But the cut it came out pretty well, so that was a nice payoff. Next time I’m all set to go.

I too (like carld05) had to figure out a donut bearing, and decided on manufacturing one from UMHW, which worked out pretty well.

Prior to that I also had the pleasure of using John Hall’s binding machine. Can’t go wrong with that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

I chose the same route as John Reid and made my own, but decided on a Fleishmann-style tool. I sure don't regret it. It takes up more space, though, than the nice one John made. The thread is here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7688

It saves a lot of money but Baltic Birch and many bits of hardware can still add up. And I am very happy with the Bosch router. Bruce W.
Slowpicker

Post by Slowpicker »

Thanks for the replies, folks! Lots of good ideas and options. I keep thinking about the Elevate Ultimate Binding Jig. At $422, it is not cheap, and I don't know that I can bring myself to buy it. But it comes with the cutting bit and no bearings or body cradle are required. That puts the total cost right about the same as buying a traditional vertical cutting jig and bit/bearing set. Has anyone used the Elevate? It seems pretty smart, using the zero bar to adjust cutting depth instead of bearings.
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Seems like most new builders take a big step upwards when they get a way to cut binding channels right and with less stress. A lot of ways to get there, I made a set up like a lot of others, found one easy way to make the rest donut was to use a plastic disk used for floor protectors under furniture. Seems to work ok and easy to replace if needed. Home Depot or Lowes has a selection of different sizes.

Bruce,
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

I used one of the tower type router holders for my first and it came out well. Then I took the Martin factory tour and watched a woman zipping through binding holding the guitar against her body and using an upright jig like this:

I wouldn't recommend it until you have a few guitars finished first. It takes practice.

PS: I modified it to use the plastic "shoe" of a felt floor protector which worked great. My modification of the guitar though - not so much.

~ Neil
Slowpicker

Post by Slowpicker »

Very cool, Neil! That one works just like the Elevate jig, which is similar to the KMG jig but you move the body instead of the router.
sjhouska

Post by sjhouska »

Can anyone please direct me to where I can find a pdf of the design for Bill Cory's homemade router guide? A website URL ((www.nichebooks.com/router/guide.pdf) he provides in a couple of his kit building books doesn't seem to be alive. I get a screen stating the domain name is for sale, but no substantive info is available. Similarly, my "google" searches haven't lead me to Cory's design either. My current intention is to build one kit (Martin 000) and be done, and I am trying maintain marital harmony by avoiding expensive long term router solutions/equipment. I don't have a shop, so I am not able to use or build some of the systems I see discussed in this forum.

Thanks in advance for any info on how I can find the Bill Cory pdf design.

Scot