Binding Method for Beginner

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
MaineGeezer

Re: Binding Method for Beginner

Post by MaineGeezer »

Yeah, I finished #5 a month or two ago. After each of them I didn't think I'd build another one. #5 may really be the last one though, because Parkinson's disease is making the process frustrating instead of fun.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Slowpicker

Post by Slowpicker »

Sometimes you have to try something to rule it out. I had gone over every binding routing method available and could not find the "one". Too expensive, took up too much space, too scary, hard to find, etc. I really wanted to go with a tower, but I just couldn't stomach $500 for the tower, carrier, and bit/bearing set for my first guitar. Yet in the back of my head, I kept saying "don't wait until the 10th guitar to get the right tool."

I like the idea of a movable shuttle/fence like the KMG and the Elevate, saving the cost of the bearing bit set. I also liked the "handle" of the Bogdanovich jig. I tried to put some ideas together into this approach, and it works great. The handle doubles as the fence and is adjustable to set the width of the channel. The Bosch depth adjustment still functions for that purpose. I will add a Zero Bar like the Elevate that will allow me to stick a piece of binding between the shuttle and the base to quickly set depth. You can't tell in the pic, but it's a two-handed job. Even then, it's still terrifying and easy to rock towards the router and make a mistake. I will likely buy a proper tool for guitar #2. But for $2 of hardware and some scrap pine, it can be done!
IMG_8304.jpeg
IMG_8305.jpeg
IMG_8309.jpeg
IMG_8310.jpeg
IMG_8307.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slowpicker

Post by Slowpicker »

Still gotta do the perfling, but I need to take a break and breathe.
IMG_8308.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Looks like you done it good. Go slow and be sure to make your cuts from the center of the bouts to the left and right, to the waist, and then to the neck and tail ends. You don't want that spinning bit to feed into the end grain of the top and back. The bit WILL grab and that means disaster