3rd kit?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Stray Feathers

Re: 3rd kit?

Post by Stray Feathers »

Have you contacted John Hall at Blues Creek Guitars? I have never built a kit, so am not endorsing anyone, but I have seen many posts here from builders who seem to say John helped them choose designs, woods, etc. And this is Kit Guitars Forum, and John is the moderator/administrator--whatever the term is. Bruce W.
koolimy

Post by koolimy »

I second the recommendation for Blues Creek Guitars. His building style will be slightly different from StewMac so there will be a tiny adjustment period but he provides excellent customer service by phone and email so you should have no problems. Also, I have heard that he can customize your kit leaving some of the stuff up to you so you can gradually tackle some of the problems you want. For example, do you want to bend your own sides? I think he may be able to offer a kit w/o the sides bent, etc. He also seems to offer more woods than a place like StewMac so you can experiment with different combinations of woods.

I have to let you know that I have built a kit from Mr. Hall so I am biased. I am however very satisfied with my guitar and Mr. Hall's customer service.

Of course, LMI (lmii.com) also seems to offer many wood choices and customization options so that is another choice. I think the difference b/w LMI and Blues Creek is a matter of interface. If you are more comfortable doing things by computer, where you can pick out every little detail on the computer, LMI would be your choice. Blues Creek is more informal and requires much more human interaction. If you would rather talk through your kit with a person you should go with Blues Creek.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

thanks for the kind words
with the supply lines touchy I am happy to say I got the parts I need to start making more kits and they will be on the site in the next few weeks.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Andy Mitchell

Post by Andy Mitchell »

Hi John,

I tried to but one of the kits on your web site today, but it said (when I tried to check out) that you don't sell to 'CA'. I'm assuming that means Canada, not California, lol. Anyway, is it true that you don't want to do business to Canada, or just some unexpected byproduct of technology gone astray? The kit back and sides were mahogany, which I don't think runs afoul of any export regulations... but I respect your wishes if you just don't want to deal with the hassle.

Anyway, I'm really pining to get started on some sort of off-season project. Can buy elsewhere, but your good reputation makes me want to try one of your kits instead (if at all possible). Please advise.

Andrew
koolimy

Post by koolimy »

Andy Mitchell wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:29 pm Hi John,

I tried to but one of the kits on your web site today, but it said (when I tried to check out) that you don't sell to 'CA'. I'm assuming that means Canada, not California, lol. Anyway, is it true that you don't want to do business to Canada, or just some unexpected byproduct of technology gone astray? The kit back and sides were mahogany, which I don't think runs afoul of any export regulations... but I respect your wishes if you just don't want to deal with the hassle.

Anyway, I'm really pining to get started on some sort of off-season project. Can buy elsewhere, but your good reputation makes me want to try one of your kits instead (if at all possible). Please advise.

Andrew
This doesn't answer your question but I would try to call or email Mr. Hall. The process is a lot more informal than a place like Stewmac so calling/emailing and working out the details probably works best. You can also customize whichever kit you chose when you are talking with/emailing him. I would definitely ask about what types of woods he has, as it seems that he has quite a lot of types of woods on his facebook page.
Andy Mitchell

Post by Andy Mitchell »

Well, I finally did a quick google (don't know why it took me so long, honestly) and certain varieties of mahogany are on the prohibited list for import/export between Canada and the US. So I guess the robotic 'NO' given by the website checkout was justified when I tried to buy that kit. Makes me sad.

Extrapolating a bit, I'm now guessing import of almost any kit using 'traditional' woods to Canada is therefore a big no-no. So I guess I was lucky to get the two I did..... which were both fun, but maybe the last of their kind that I'm likely to get my hands on. All's not lost though - the Solo guitars site here in Canada says they have a Martin '18' dread kit in stock. How it got here I don't know, but maybe I'll just buy that (even though it's not exactly my first choice) and go from there. I'll update you all if it actually works out.

Andrew
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

You should check with some suppliers, as I believe the rules are less rigid if the CITES-listed wood has been turned into something, like a bridge. I don't know if kits qualify. In addition to Solo Guitars, you might contact Timeless Instruments in Saskatchewan:

https://www.timelessinstruments.com/con ... _Kits.html

Bow River Woods in Chilliwack also lists a couple of kits but they are both electrics.

Not sure if his kits would suit your comfort level, but worth a look. Bruce W.
koolimy

Post by koolimy »

Andy Mitchell wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:36 pm Well, I finally did a quick google (don't know why it took me so long, honestly) and certain varieties of mahogany are on the prohibited list for import/export between Canada and the US. So I guess the robotic 'NO' given by the website checkout was justified when I tried to buy that kit. Makes me sad.

Extrapolating a bit, I'm now guessing import of almost any kit using 'traditional' woods to Canada is therefore a big no-no. So I guess I was lucky to get the two I did..... which were both fun, but maybe the last of their kind that I'm likely to get my hands on. All's not lost though - the Solo guitars site here in Canada says they have a Martin '18' dread kit in stock. How it got here I don't know, but maybe I'll just buy that (even though it's not exactly my first choice) and go from there. I'll update you all if it actually works out.

Andrew
Have you tried LMI (lmii.com)? Maybe you can spec out a kit that doesn't get restricted by CITES. Their website is pretty good at showing which woods are restricted and not. That would mean you would have to use non-traditional woods for some parts (back and sides, fingerboard, etc.), but maybe you can use this as an opportunity to build with something non-traditional. They seem to have a good assortment of gorgeous woods for the back and sides that are not restricted by CITES. Why not try, for example, Black Limba, Koa, Ziricote, Macassar Ebony, Myrtle, Sapele, Walnut, or Padauk? For the fingerboard you may have to use ebony, but that is pretty traditional. You can probably get a similar non-CITES kit through Blues Creek, although you'll probably talk with Mr. Hall to spec out the kit rather than going through the website.

If you want to use traditional woods the above website looks pretty good. Martin kits are also sold by many vendors so you might have a bit more choices. I know Musiciansfriend sells Martin Kits, although I'm not sure if they suffer from the same CITES problems.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

John ought to be able to put together an unrestricted kit for you.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Andy Mitchell

Post by Andy Mitchell »

Thank you all so much - just being able to chat with folks interested in this stuff (several of which are much more expert than me on every topic) is a real gift. Much appreciated!

You are talking to a very timid, methodical novice though, so I'm probably still going for some sort of a pre-planned kit. But I am actively checking out those other options. Love those offset sound holes on the timeless instruments page, and wish I understood what all those exotic woods on the LMI site looked/worked like. Lots to think about.

Thanks again!

Andrew