3rd kit?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Andy Mitchell

Re: 3rd kit?

Post by Andy Mitchell »

Well, it took a while but the cherry Dread is almost a thing. Neck to be attached tomorrow.

I love the look of the wood, but not sure the final product is still going to be all that exciting in 20 years. I have an old cherry/spruce guitar already and the top and sides on that don't really produce much contrast once the top ages a bit.

Finish-wise, this is wipe-on poly, wet-sanded to 2000 between coats, finished with a final rub at 3000 and hand polished with Meguir's auto polishing compound. It looks pretty good. Not 'pro', but I don't either have a buffer or have access to one, so I have to settle for brute force attempts at achieving a decent finish, lol. Of note, I'm not using any sealer or pore filler, just poly from the start.

Construction is better than either of my other two, but I wonder what it sounds like. I will report again when I finally know. :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy Mitchell

Post by Andy Mitchell »

Neck is on. Looks like a guitar now!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
warren47

Post by warren47 »

Great looking guitar. How does it sound?
Last edited by warren47 on Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Mitchell

Post by Andy Mitchell »

warren47 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:01 am And?
Sound?
Still gotta mount the bridge, nut, saddle and do a set-up... so opinions on the sound are probably a couple of weeks away at best.

I have no idea what to expect, but I would not be disappointed if it turned out a little like this other Cherry/Spruce guitar that I own. It has laminate Cherry back and sides, but has a nice solid spruce top. When played, it sounds more... I don't know how to describe it, chimey?... to my ears than that first StewMac dread that I built. Less volume, and less low-end 'boom' for sure. But only time will tell.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

That photo of the back a couple of posts previous is gorgeous!

As far as what do you do about too many guitars: You need just one more than what you have.

More seriously, I don't know. I've somehow ended up with eight guitars, plus a cittern. Four of them I bought. I've built six, plus the cittern, of which two have gone to other people.
I don't need eight guitars. Due to Parkinson's disease, I've gotten to the point I can barely play them. But I like having them around. I guess it's better than collecting pianos or pipe organs.
DSC05003.JPG
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Andy Mitchell

Post by Andy Mitchell »

MaineGeezer wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:14 pm That photo of the back a couple of posts previous is gorgeous!

As far as what do you do about too many guitars: You need just one more than what you have.

More seriously, I don't know. I've somehow ended up with eight guitars, plus a cittern. Four of them I bought. I've built six, plus the cittern, of which two have gone to other people.
I don't need eight guitars. Due to Parkinson's disease, I've gotten to the point I can barely play them. But I like having them around. I guess it's better than collecting pianos or pipe organs.

DSC05003.JPG
Hehe... Thanks for that! I don't have 8 guitars yet, but am getting close. Glad I'm not the only one who hangs on to these things for sentimental reasons. They're like pets!

And thank you for the comment on the guitar back. None of my doing, but it's appearance varies quite wildly with viewing angle and lighting. From what I've read that characteristic of cherry, but it was not one I was expecting. My other mass-produced cherry guitar doesn't do that.
Andy Mitchell

Post by Andy Mitchell »

This kit also has quite a tight grain pattern on the top. Don't know if grain density has any effect on tone, but it does sorta look cool.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

That looks like an excellent top. The small horizontal ripples are, I think, called "beeswing" and are considered desirable.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
koolimy

Post by koolimy »

That guitar is absolutely gorgeous!
Andy Mitchell

Post by Andy Mitchell »

koolimy wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:30 am That guitar is absolutely gorgeous!
Thank you! I'll gratefully accept the compliment, even though I had very little to do with the deciding how it looks.

It's now complete, although still needs to 'settle' a bit before I try doing a proper set-up. Sound is different than the rosewood dread that I built earlier, but really nice (to my ears, at least). A few pics of the finished item: