Tool search

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
musicman2000

Tool search

Post by musicman2000 »

image.jpg
Check out the attached pictures. I found a 3-in1 file, chisel, and rasp at Home Depot. 3 sizes for only 20 dollars. I'm about to start my first build and trying to save some money on tools. I'm a school teacher and a starving musician! Maybe I'll spring for the pro tools eventually, but do you think this is a good alternative?

Also, look at the picture of the router - also from Home Depot - 100 dollars. I am confused by some of the jargon such as "trim" router, or "laminate" router, or "small" router. Are these terms one and the same? Do you think the router is a good purchase?

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B. Howard

Re: Tool search

Post by B. Howard »

Those chisels do not work very well as chisels or rasps, I have seen others try to use them.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

these are not for guitar work. Fine for rough work not finish.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
musicman2000

Post by musicman2000 »

Thank you. Anything on the router?

Tom

Post by   »

If it's a laminate trimmer you're after, which is typically used for bindings on a guitar, I'd say Ridgid 2401 or the variable speed Bosch Colt.
John Hall's binding jig is often paired with the Ridgid.
The members here are a small sampling. There are many other recommendations out there which can be found by doing a Google search.
Those other opinions should be considered when making your buying decision.

-tommy
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

The combination of rasp and chisel is not very good at either. This is Flea Market/Yard Sale season and you can pick up chisels and other tools very cheaply. a low angle block plane can be had for $10-20. Look for a long 1/4" chisel and a regular length 1/2". Learn how to sharpen them - it is as easy as emory paper on a piece of wet glass. Files are available by the pound - find the shapes you want and a few hour soak in muriatic acid will sharpen almost any file/rasp. Tools at these places are cheap, so pay extra for brand names and those in good shape.

Ed Minch
Ed M
Tarhead

Post by Tarhead »

The Makita router will work fine for cutting lining channels. You can do better on price for the Bosch Colt if you want to buy on the web. Colts go in the $75-100 range new and ~$60-70 for a remanufactured model. I buy the remanufactured because they are much more reliable than the new electric hand tools I have purchased during the past 40 years. For this class of Router you don't need variable speed so don't pay extra for it.

New:
http://www.cpotools.com/bosch-pr10e-col ... ch-routers

Reman'd:
http://www.cpotools.com/factory-recondi ... evsk-rt--1
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

You can get a Dewalt trim router on Amazon for about $60, and I have 3 of the Harbor Freight routers that for around $25 will get the job done for you at a very low price. That is what I used on my first 5 guitars to rout for bindings, truss rod slot, etc.
You can also get a set of chisels at HF for very little $$ that will work fine for the soft woods we use mostly in guitar making. You have to do a little work on them to get them right, and they don't have premium metal in them, but if you keep them sharp, they will also work for you....I started out with a set myself.

Kevin
musicman2000

Post by musicman2000 »

I love Harbor Freight. I just picked up a set of chisels today from there. And thank you for the advice about the router. I have heard pretty good things about the Rigid 2401 router as well. I have seen ones that are refurbished online.

Tom
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

Tom, I live in Glen Burnie and work in Baltimore. If you get in a position where you could use a hand let me know. Maybe I could give you a hand. I'm still quite new to all of this, but I've got a few instruments done, some you could see in the build threads.
kyle