A Gluing Question for the Glue Gurus

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
TimYA

A Gluing Question for the Glue Gurus

Post by TimYA »

Question:

I would like to hear the opinions on this from as many experienced builders who have the time and care to reply. I also hope it isn't a truly dumb question. They say "There are no dumb questions." I'm a teacher, so let's put that one aside for later (add a warm smile). Here goes ...

Q) So let's say you are working on a ukulele kit, or any kit for that matter, and you have glued the top on. Everything looks fine, or so you thought.

After 3 days you notice a spot, lets say a 0.5 cm long gap that didn't seal. Okay, I can assume that can be fixed with a creative application of a dash of glue in the right spot, some wood filler, or some other magic fairly luthier's dust that the gurus know about. It is one spot, and small, and I'm sure it can be fixed. The table probably isn't going to come flying off during my breathtaking performance of Stairway to Heaven on my electrified jazz tenor ukulele.

Yet then you discover another place on the opposite side where it too has a 0.5 cm wide opening where the glue didn't find its calling. How to fix these challenges isn't my question.

This is my question to a room full of kit gurus. Individually, what would be your own personal guideline for when it is time to competely remove the top, resand, and reglue, and starting that step all over again?

Diane says I should make a couple of posts for starters. That would be my first question, and I hope I am putting it in the correct place.

Respectfully,
Tim, new kid on the block as of 1/22/2023.
tippie53

Re: A Gluing Question for the Glue Gurus

Post by tippie53 »

what type of glue
fish glue can reglue
tite bond with it being this fresh should go back
drop in some glue and clamp see what happens I think you would be fine
you can also make a small shim of glue to fill the void and glue that in

so test first with the clamp and see if it close you can also take some HOT water and a keep the area damp and warm for about 10 minutes if it doesn't want to go down and then see if it closes then add a dab of glue

lots of ways to correct little mishaps
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Re: A Gluing Question for the Glue Gurus

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

This is my standard response to dumb questions. There ARE dumb questions; they're the questions unasked.

Now that we've cleared that up, as John said, it depends on your glue. If you're using a biological glue, like fish glue, or hide glue (both hot and cold), you can just reglue.

If you've used Titebond Original, or other wood glue, try to remove it, or at least as much as you can. Reglue.

Keep it clamped for a good 24+ hours no matter which glue you've used. These things happen. It might be that there wasn't enough glue or past working time. It's fixable.

If it continues to come apart in other places, there might be an issue with the glue. If you have a lot of places that come loose, I'd remove the top and all of the glue, then reglue. If your glue is old, I'd replace it. If your using cold hide glue or other biological glue and it's a year old, replace it.

I keep Titebond original around for a long time. It's good for 10+ years, assuming it's stored in a dry place that doesn't freeze or get above 100°.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com