colortone grain filler

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Radmcg

colortone grain filler

Post by Radmcg »

My next dumb question. Building my second Stew Mac les Paul kit. First one turned out great. used mahogany colored colortone grain filler then clear lacquer on the back of neck and body turned out nice even medium brown just like I wanted. Just filled the new kit and used colortone neutral grain filler that I had on hand. When I sanded it all of the grain (filled area) is highlighted white. I have read it is just dust so I blew it off used naphtha and it still dries white. Will this go away when I lacquer over it or am I going to have to apply color to the back and neck?
AHA
Rad
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: colortone grain filler

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

If you have some naptha(cigarette lighter fluid) wipe an area with that and see if the pores blend in. If not lacquer won't hide it.
You could sand it off and use sawdust from your neck wood and shellac and work the dust into the pores.
I like this technique the best. Shellac on a cotton ball, sprinkle the sawdust on the surface and rub it into the pores. When dry sand it back.
Try it you'll like it
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

Kevin is absolutely right. The lacquer on top will just seal the white specs into the grain. I ruined a beautiful piece of red mahogany that way. Once it’s sealed it won’t cover over in my experience. In hind sight, I think I did not notice the specs after sanding the first application. The next coat of pore filler sealed it. Then the lacquer sealed it permanently. I believe John Hall now doesn’t sand between pore filler coats, so he doesn’t get that white dust. That said, he levels (with a squeegee )and rubs the dickens out of it as it flashes. Check his finishing videos. He may not sand it when done filling and just seal with shellac without ever sanding the filler.
If you have embedded filler dust, you may have to sand some more if it’s too bad. Good luck and I think you’re smart to deal with it before going to lacquer.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I do not sand the first 2 , I will after the 3rd then wipe down with
Naphtha mineral spirit and then blow off and use a micro fiber towel
never can be too clean on finish
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Radmcg

Post by Radmcg »

Thanks for the suggestions. It blends with Naphtha but turns white again when it dries. I was just wondering since the lacquer will seal it would it stay neutral or dry white even under the lacquer? Kevin what shellac do you use mixed flakes or just premade stuff. I have always been afraid of shellac. Ruined a lot of early projects with it a long time ago and got a bad taste in my mouth. I'm 100% sure it was user error. Just made me gun shy.
Thanks of the help.
Rad
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I use Zinsser Seal Coat. This is dewaxed shellac in alcohol at I think a 2lb cut, maybe 3lb. Dont use the Zinnser shellac. That has wax in it. You can thin it with grain alcohol or in California I use denatured alcohol which this stupid state outlawed the sale of about 4 years ago, so I stocked upon 4 gallons. Many don't recommend this but I've used it on 2 guitars for French Polishing and it worked out fine. I did one classical using flakes and I didn't find it too be that much different.