Martin Style Slotted Headstock Template

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
scamp

Re: Martin Style Slotted Headstock Template

Post by scamp »

MaineGeezer wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:56 pm FWIW, the slots are 9/16" wide in the first drawing.
Thanks. This is consistent with what I’ve seen in some photos of the headstock that I used to come up with some of my measurements. Seems like the slots are a bit over 0.5 inches.
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

One thing to keep in mind is that the headstock has to be thick enough to mount the tuners on the sides - mine ended up thicker than a comparable solid headstock. Having tuners ahead of time helps.
scamp

Post by scamp »

Stray Feathers wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:13 am One thing to keep in mind is that the headstock has to be thick enough to mount the tuners on the sides - mine ended up thicker than a comparable solid headstock. Having tuners ahead of time helps.
Thanks for the heads up. I did notice that the slotted headstocks were thicker and there was some mention of needing thicker headstocks for the tuners required. I think Stewmac sells slotted 12 fret headstock necks ( without the added thickness of the veneer ) with a thickness of 0.62 and LMI has them with a thickness of 0.67. As a comparison, the thickness of the standard 14 fret headstocks from LMI are 0.5. To be safe, it probably does make sense to get the tuners first and then figure out what thickness is appropriate.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the final thickness is .750 of an inch with the veneer
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com