Squaring the neck and tail block?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Squaring the neck and tail block?

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Brian said:
It is also worth noting that I have not established any of my neck geometry at this point.I do not even rout my dovetail until the box is closed.

It all comes clearer now. But still, ow do you ensure that the neck at the body is correct up and down for it to aim at the bridge?

Thanks

Ed Minch
Ed M
B. Howard

Re: Squaring the neck and tail block?

Post by B. Howard »

Geometry again. Making the neck block square to the top is a misnomer as both the top and back are semi circular in section. We are making it square to the plane formed by the edge of the rims where the top will glue on. Both ends of my block have an angle cut on them. Where it's glued onto the top is 1.25°. The arch of my upper transverse brace is designed to intersect this plane, making a straight (or nearly so) bed for the fb extension. This 1.25° plane has been calculated to work with the radius of my x braces to give me my ideal bridge height. As long as the block is square, the rest lines up. I can now cut the end of my neck at 88.75° and rout my dovetails. Of course I never just cut the neck by simple math, I transfer the angle from the body but 4 out of 5 times it is dead on. The other time it is off maybe an eighth of a degree.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com