Fingerboard binding

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
jacoblinnemann

Fingerboard binding

Post by jacoblinnemann »

Hi everybody!

I have finally closed the box on my little parlor project ---> on to the neck!

I have a question regarding fingerboard binding: I guess you should subtract the width of the binding from the width of the fingerboard, so you´ll end up with the original width of the fingerboard with the bindings on. In the plans that i´m building from (a bruno parlor) the neck is 44.5mm wide at the headstock and my binding (maple) is 2mm wide. As i can see, this will cause the high e-string to almost follow the binding - which means that i´ll almost be pressing the high e-string down on the maple-binding instead of the ebony fingerboard. Make sense? Im scratching my head here... Again! :)

I guess i shouldn´t make the neck wider to eliminate the problem...should I thin the binding down to 1mm wide after installed? Or is this not a problem at all?

Help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Jacob, Denmark
tippie53

Re: Fingerboard binding

Post by tippie53 »

binding is often in the 1/16 in range and the string is started about 1/10 in off the edge. If you run a wider binding as you are stating . you still should be ok Maple can make a nice fretboard so it can take the wear.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
jacoblinnemann

Re: Fingerboard binding

Post by jacoblinnemann »

Thanks for your answer, John. I´ll stop scratching my head and carry on with the project :)