Wow factor

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Datrek

Wow factor

Post by Datrek »

Having read some of the posts in this section, I am thinking "Wow, what have I got myself into?" Some of the things you all are talking about may as well be in another language.
I have my first guitar kit on its way, wanting to build my first acoustic guitar. Some of the techniques you folks are talking about, I have never done. Now I am getting a little nervous about the whole thing. Some of you have built several guitars and are still running into problems. I would like my first attempt to be a success but I can see I will have several problems and a ton of questions. I have a guy who has built a few instruments to help me along as well as support from Blues Creek and any of you who would like to help with tips and advise. Hopefully being a little nervous will make me be more careful and not do anything real dumb like glue the neck on upside down.
Never going to know until I try.
Thanks, Norm
B. Howard

Re: Wow factor

Post by B. Howard »

Relax, it's just wood.....
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Norm, just learn how to do the next step before proceeding. It can be daunting to try to understand everything at once before you start. Review John's videos or ask questions here anytime you are unsure what step to do next or if you are unsure how to do a step. You can do it!
Slacker......
musicman2000

Post by musicman2000 »

Depending on the kit you have, check out Bill Cory's manuals (in the column on your left). I am also a first-time builder. As a matter of fact, my kit has been sitting in my work room untouched for two weeks because I am nervous about breaking it. But I have been reading BC's material, and he makes it very plain and simple.

And feel free to start asking questions and starting new topics under the beginners forum. Everyone has been so helpful when I have had a question or concern, no matter how insignificant. Everyone, at some point, was also a first- time builder and know what you are going through. They will also be the first to tell you that your first build will be far less than perfect. I have discovered that if you develop the mind-set of wanting a perfect instrument with no mistakes along the way during your first build, you are putting some pretty unrealistic expectations on yourself, and you will be so nervous that you never finish the project (or in my case, never even get started). Relax and let your first time be a learning experience. Half of the learning will be in the mistakes you make. The good news is that many on this forum will gladly talk you through how to correct any mistake.

I have been reading and reading and reading about building for over 2 months now. Tomorrow, I am going to start building the darn thing. Best of luck!

Tom
Datrek

Post by Datrek »

Good luck Tom, be sure to post photos.
musicman2000

Post by musicman2000 »

Thank you, and good luck to you too. Check out the blog section - I started the project yesterday. And blog your project too. You'll get feedback along the way, especially if you post pictures.

Tom