Clamp Crazy

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
musicman2000

Clamp Crazy

Post by musicman2000 »

So, here is a picture of my current clamp collection. I don't have much, and I keep hearing the ol' cliche: "you can never have too many." However, I need some advice regarding which clamps I should get first. The middle 2 wooden clamps I bought yesterday thinking that is what I need for gluing the tail and neck blocks. There are too many types of clamps to sort through. What should I use?

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SKBarbour

Re: Clamp Crazy

Post by SKBarbour »

I went though some pics looking for a pic of one of the blocks being clamped. This is from my first guitar, which was a Stew Mac kit. I didn't use an outside mold which is why I used a radius end block on the outside. Having an outside mold will make this easier. I would do the tail block first to get a feel for clamping and lining everything up. The neck block is more critical in its alignment so doing the tail block can be a kind of test run. You should do a couple of dry runs, clamping without glue, for practice anyway. Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kyle
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Tom, I have some of those wooden screw clamps and I think as I did you will find they don't' work very well for what we are doing in guitar making.
I have not yet purchased cam clamps and I'm almost done with my 7th guitar, but they seem to be a good choice for much of the clamping you will need to do. I have quite a few c clamps and they work pretty well but as you tighten up stuff wants to move, the cam clamps don't twist as they tighten so I can see much advantage there. The trigger bar clamps work pretty well, but the cheap ones from HF don't have much holding power and at under $2 on sale for a 12" bar, they are pretty cheap to buy. I still find uses for them. If you can spend the dough get a fleet of cam clamps.

Kevin
jeffrodite

Post by jeffrodite »

These are the clamps that I find are of the most use to me. Much better than the screw clamps for glueing neck and tail blocks. They are under 10 bucks at Lowes. I am sure that John Hall will chime in and concur...
jeffrodite

Post by jeffrodite »

You can also build your own cam clamps fairly easy. I built a bunch of them. Here is a link to an old post showing them. It was my intention to post a tutorial on how to do it, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5597
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I love the Y C clamps.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com