Small plug cutter

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Stray Feathers

Small plug cutter

Post by Stray Feathers »

I'm working on an old Yamaki guitar, and have found the original tuners, while still functioning, all have loose bushings - one of which I managed to lose. I decided I would spring for new tuners and bought some moderately priced Wilkinson closed back tuners. I will have to drill the holes out to 10 mm which should not be a problem. But I will also have to fill the original screw holes. I could not find a plug cutter small enough, except one sold exclusively by Stew Mac which was expensive. I found in my accumulation of tools some leather punch bits. I put one in a drill, and presto, it worked like a darn to cut plugs out of a mahogany practice side. The mahogany is about .115 thick. This punch makes plugs about .121" in diameter so I am hoping that will work with a 1/8" drill bit. Fits my budget . . . Bruce W.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TEETERFAN

Re: Small plug cutter

Post by TEETERFAN »

What a clever idea, sure beats $128! Thanks for sharing.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
MaineGeezer

Re: Small plug cutter

Post by MaineGeezer »

Four thou under 1/8"....certainly worth a try! Great idea.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion