CA Glue Accelerator Find/Test results

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Diane Kauffmds

CA Glue Accelerator Find/Test results

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I love gluboost. It accelerates ca glue without harming nitro or shellac and it doesn't bubble up. Starbond is good, because it doesn't foam up, but it will eat into shellac and nitro.

I found an accelerator made by Bob Smith Industries. It says that it's Styrofoam safe. I contacted them and was told it was safe for finishes, including nitro and shellac. Gluboost is $12/3.5 ounces on their website ($20 on Amazon). Bob Smith Industries is $15/8 ounces, a substantial savings. I just got it. I'll test it tomorrow and let you know my observations.

The thin ca, made by BSI, is water thin. It cost $24/8 ounces, a great price. I'll let you know how much I like it once I use it.

Both are available on Amazon.

Bob Smith 152 Insta Set... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084FV2TQG?r[ ... b_ap_share[/url]
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Re: CA Glue Accelerator Find

Post by tippie53 »

star bond has a new aerosol thats pretty good as well
Waiting to see your results
post links please
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Re: CA Glue Accelerator Find/Test results

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've tested the super thin ca glue, and the Foam Safe accelerator, both made by Bob Smith Industries (BSI). I love them both.

The Super Thin insta-cure ca glue is indeed water thin. My thinking was that when used on wood, it would soak in necessitating a second coat, or a coat on each side. I was wrong.

I applied a thin layer of the glue to a piece of raw Honduran Mahogany. It did indeed soak in. But when I put the other piece of clean hog onto it, it stuck firmly. This glue is instant cure, meaning the working time is minimal. In fact, it cures faster than any ca glue, thick or thin, that I've used. I like this attribute. There have been a lot of times where I've used a gel based glue, because I couldn't wait the time it takes for regular thin ca to cure. Yes, I know you can spray one side with accelerator and put glue on the other side, but then there's no room for error or correction. This at least gives you a fee seconds.

There will be times where I want more working time, so I'll keep an alternative in the shop, but I'm going to make BSI super thin my goto glue. It's definitely far superior for inlay. I've inlaid 2 shamrocks for a proof of concept that I made. I put the inlay in the pocket, then filled the inlay with BSI. It works its way around inlay much nicer, and it's as sandable as thicker ca glues. It's a win-win.

I've also tested the Insta-Set, Foam Safe, accelerator made by BSI.

***WARNING: It's sweet smelling, like candy. Pets and small children could mistake this for something to drink!!!

We should all safeguard our chemicals, but I wanted you to know this.

I tested it on nitro, shellac, and polyurethane. It IS safe on finishes. Also, it takes longer to evaporate, so I have to learn to use LESS than I have of Starbond or Gluboost. I also did a no-no to see how it reacted. I plopped thicker ca glue on a surface, then sprayed the BSI accelerator immediately. It didn't form white Foam. I also over applied it to a surface, then squirted ca glue on top; same thing. It solidified almost immediately, but didn't form that offensive Foam.

So, the BSI is safe for finishes, including delicate ones, you need less, and it works on other brands of ca glue. However, the sweet smell may encourage pets or children to ingest, so be extra cautious.

Also, BSI has very good customer service. I had emailed them to find out if their accelerator was finish friendly. I received an emailed response in less than 15 minutes.

I bought both of these through Amazon. I'll leave links, below.

8 ounces of the CA glue was $24.53 on Prime. I noticed they've run out of it by prime, so it's $26 from an outside vendor.

Bob Smith Industries Insta-Cure Super Thin CA Refill 8oz https://a.co/d/9j3Jvc5
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Link to accelerator. Make sure you buy the FOAM SAFE type.

BSI has many variations of ca glues and accelerators.

This is $15.99 for an 8 ounce refill on Prime. I put some in a small pump spray bottle.

Bob Smith 152 Insta Set Accelerator, 8 oz. (New Version) https://a.co/d/9JH84A6
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
carld05

Post by carld05 »

Thanks for the review Diane. I am just about out of Gluboost extra thin, so this should last me forever.
I did get the free Prime shipping too.