Dovetail neck tenon jig homemade

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Diane Kauffmds

Dovetail neck tenon jig homemade

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Hi guys,

As you know, I like to make my own jigs when I can. Dovetail jigs are expensive. The basic idea for this jig came from Robbie Obrien. I made modifications.

I built this from scrap and "stuff" sitting around the shop. The biggest expensive were the templates, one for the mortise, the other for the tenon. I think I paid around $50 for both.

This is the tenon jig. I'll make the mortise jig next and I'll post it.

The materials used were:

Scrap 12mm thick, and 3/4" plywood, 1 piece of aluminum angle, nuts/bolts, and two 300lb toggle clamps. Everything, inc the clamps were laying around the shop. I bought 4 toggle clamps from Amazon to make a new shooting board, so I had 2 left over. They cost ~ $3/each.

I think you can see the simple design. The main thing is to ensure that the template centerline, is absolutely lined up and square to the centerline on the on the neck truss rod channel. This is crucial. I routed a pocket for the template to lay into, so it's flat to the board. Everything is secured by nuts and bolts. You'll see the beginning of a crack in one corner of the template. It doesn't go through. It occurred as I was trying to countersink the bolt, and I caught just the edge of the template.

The neck truss rod channel is placed on two 1/4" dowels, which hold it straight to the template. You can see 2 dowel pins, with another place for a third if needed.

The jig may not be beautiful or fancy; it's utilitarian and will do the job well. I don't know what I have in materials, since everything was sitting around. You'll even see test holes from calibrating the new cnc. Lol

The jig extension behind the angle is simply clamped to a bench. I'll use my rigid palm router to cut dovetails.

BTW, the neck you see clamped into the jig is for demonstration only. It's one of my first ones, which I rejected a long tike ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Bob Gleason

Re: Dovetail neck tenon jig homemade

Post by Bob Gleason »

Thanks for that post. I have a somewhat similar jig that I have always used for my dovetails on ukes and guitars. I recently made the mistake of trying to upgrade to a nice aluminum jig that is sold on line. It is universally adjustable for different instruments. In fact, it is so universally adjustable that I can't deal with it. It's going on eBay soon! Very complicated for my 76 year old brain. So, I'm going to re-work my original one and go back to it. I see some ideas I'll steal from your design. Thanks for those. Enjoy your building!-Bob
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Bob Gleason wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:19 pm Thanks for that post. I have a somewhat similar jig that I have always used for my dovetails on ukes and guitars. I recently made the mistake of trying to upgrade to a nice aluminum jig that is sold on line. It is universally adjustable for different instruments. In fact, it is so universally adjustable that I can't deal with it. It's going on eBay soon! Very complicated for my 76 year old brain. So, I'm going to re-work my original one and go back to it. I see some ideas I'll steal from your design. Thanks for those. Enjoy your building!-Bob
I'm happy you found the post useful. I've decided on a simple design for the matching mortise jig.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Thanks for posting this. I made a lot of the jigs for my first build primarily to save money but I found that it had the added benefit of giving me a better understanding of the process, which usually makes for a better fixture - or at least one that I can understand. I wanted to cut my first neck joint by hand and now that I survived that experience I can't make a neck dovetail jig fast enough!
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I made something similar, based on StewMac's design. https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-ideas ... tructions/
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I am surprised you didn't use your milling machine thats what I use
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

tippie53 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:08 pm I am surprised you didn't use your milling machine thats what I use
That's why I've built the cnc, but I've been working through problems. I've just finally gotten it straightened out. I'm going to post everything under the cnc blog that I started, so I won't bore you with details here.

Plus, I've just upgraded to VCarve desktop, from Cut2D. I have no idea how to use CAD software, another hurdle. I had the templates before I has my first cnc, so I'm just putting them to use.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I use Vcarve pro 10.5
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com