DIY Duplicating Rig

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
BEJ

DIY Duplicating Rig

Post by BEJ »

Have been working on a neck/bridge duplicating machine for the past few weeks. First attempt was a POS and I lost interest but saw a better plan on Y Tube and resumed the project.
The 2nd effort uses a lot more roller bearings and runs a lot smoother almost with no resistance. Still somewhat of a kludge but less kludger(sp) that the 1st attempt.
I have to make a real clean and straight master neck to dup the next few days and then will do the 1st trial. Will also do a bridge. I have a 1/8" and 1/4" ball mill cutters, will try the 1/4" first and see how it goes. A few pics....

Bruce,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BEJ

Re: DIY Duplicating Rig

Post by BEJ »

A few more pics....I'm going to use it to mostly carve the neck, will do the head stock with bandsaw/spindle sander and the base with router and guide jig.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Looks good! You certainly are putting a lot of effort. Hopefully your work will produce a useful addition to your shop!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

So true, spent a lot of time getting the right # of washers to best center the bearing on the conduit and to track without any slop. Must have reworked every part of the set up at least 2-3 times before I was alright with it. Sometimes like making tools/jigs more than making the guitars.
Planning to use the set up to RO about 95% of the neck and fine tune the rest by hand. Will see how it goes.

Bruce,