Found the PERFECT Bit Depth Stop!

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Diane Kauffmds

Found the PERFECT Bit Depth Stop!

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've used tape, traditional depth stop rings, split rings. They all have 1 thing in common; they don't fit bits below 1/8" and they can loosen due to vibration which will ruin your day.

I accidentally found these on Amazon the other day while trying, once again, to find a bloody stop to fit a 2mm bit. I bought a set. They're nicely machined aluminum. The bit holder is plastic, and the bit is held by even pressure all around, instead of an Allen screw. It never loosens up from vibration. Between the 2, they'll fit bits from 1.5mm to 7/16". Unlike other depth stops, no tools are needed to use.

The only concern would be length, but I've found the usual 2" bits more than long enough for the small stop. I especially needed the 2mm stop for side fret markers. You won't have a depth issue if you use the plastic rods, but I use either awabi, abalone, or mother of pearl side markers and they're about 2mm deep. They can fall too deep into a hole, or be difficult to pull out if not deep enough.

The small one is 1 1/8" long, the large 1 7/8" long, both fully closed. They'll be longer, depending on the size of your bit. The depth that I need is small, so they work great for things like tuner screw holes.

Here's the link if you're interested:

Ruitool Drill Depth Stop for Drill Bits,Adjustable Drill Stop Applicable Drill Size Range 5/64"-3/16",15/64"-7/16",Aluminum Drill Bit Stop Collar Set for Woodworking Tools & Hand Tools,2 Pcs https://a.co/d/1iBNd1e
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Gasawdust

Re: Found the PERFECT Bit Depth Stop!

Post by Gasawdust »

Perfect timing as I’m looking for the same.
Have you used them yet and are they up to expectations?
Thanks,
Tom
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

It works perfect for tiny bits. I've not used the larger one yet, but I'm sure it works as well as the small one.

The bits are held from 4 directions, so they're centered. I just used one to drill a pilot hole in ebony for you. It is very smooth aluminum, but you could still get an impression around your hole, if you exert pressure. You can get it out with a wet paper towel and a soldering iron. There is a full plastic version of this on Amazon. I prefer aluminum. You can just put tape over the wood too, drill, remove the tape and no impression.

The plastic insert really holds the bit tight and straight. I've not tested to see how small you can go, but fully closed and empty, it looks like it's 1 mm or less. You definitely need 2" long bits, minimally. The bit is tight and steady if I put at least 3/8" into the drill, which leaves 7/16" maximum hole depth for a 5/64" (2mm) bit. That's more than enough for pilot screw holes and side markers.

I put a 13/32" bit into the large holder. That's a bit over 10mm, which is the largest you'll need for tuners. It's nice and tight. The opening on the plastic insert tines is smaller. I just put the smooth end in and gently "screwed" the plastic retainer until I reached the desired depth. That way, I'm not damaging the plastic. I think a lot of rough handling, like shoving the working end of a bit into the plastic, would take its toll. Using imagination, I'm sure this piece could be upgraded to a better material. The plastic can be used from either end, as it's the same. The large bit holder holds bits from 5 directions.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.
20220916_093933.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

An interesting find Diane! As usual I went looking for a way get a set at reasonable cost in Canada but no luck so far. The only "retail" place I found them (or what appears to be the same thing) is a company called Rutland's in the UK, very reasonable at $15 CAD -- but over $60 to ship it! So I will wait a bit to see how you make out, and watch for someone else to make them available. Bruce W.
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Diane- Nice! Once again you have helped me spend my money! Stops on the way.-bob
Gasawdust

Post by Gasawdust »

Thanks Diane. Based on your response I ordered it.
Tom
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I use tape but if this works for you enjoy
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Tape works for me too, but on smaller bits sometimes it does not stay put. I've tried other stop collars and they also have issues on smaller bits like making it difficult to see the work. Lucky we can return things with Amazon. Worth a try!
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

I received those depth stops. Pretty well made.I have a little garbage Ryobi drill press by my work bench so that I don't have to walk into the tool room for minor drilling. It has a junk depth stop, so I think these stops will work great on that tool.-Bob
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Bob Gleason wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:27 pm Tape works for me too, but on smaller bits sometimes it does not stay put. I've tried other stop collars and they also have issues on smaller bits like making it difficult to see the work. Lucky we can return things with Amazon. Worth a try!
I had exactly the same problems with the small bits using tape. I can't find a stop for a bit smaller than 1/8". Plus the stops I have come loose, which can be disastrous depending on.what I'm doing.

The search for a small bit stop led me to these stops.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars