Drill press table

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Stray Feathers

Drill press table

Post by Stray Feathers »

I've been working on a couple of ukulele necks and the next steps were thicknessing the headstocks, and drilling for tuners and bushings. I've been considering getting a drill press table to reduce the constant clamping of bases and fences when working on woodworking tasks. There are many out there, some the same as others but for names. Many do not seem to go beyond very basic functionality. I found one listed by KMS Tools in Canada, with their Magnum Industrial brand on it. I looked around for reviews on it, or one of its clones (there must be some?) but could not find much. After scrolling through hundreds of images I found the same thing on a distributor's web site. It's made in Taiwan - a plus for me. And when I looked at it I was impressed enough to buy it (on sale but regular price $190 CAD). The table is very sturdy, and the aluminum fence is more versatile than most others seem to be, except for some more expensive models. Possible weaknesses: There is a finish on the table that seems to make material move more smoothly, but this seems to be only a stick-on layer. And the dust hood may be a little tight on my 13-inch drill press - we'll see. So far I have used it to thickness the headstocks with a Safe-T-Planer, and drilled the tuner holes, and then the bushing rebates, with a Stew-Mac tool. It all went fine, with a little juggling to figure out how to clamp things. I'll report back if there are any major pluses or minuses. Bruce W.

https://www.taiwantrade.com/products/de ... id=2307474

https://www.kmstools.com/magnum-industr ... fence.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Drill press table

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I never thought of a drill prese table. Thanks.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
phavriluk

Re: Drill press table

Post by phavriluk »

I bought a drill press table from Harbor Freight a few years ago. One of those tools that if you need it, you're awfully pleased to have it. At the time while it wasn't lunch money, it wasn't a budget-buster, either, and the cheapest one around.
peter havriluk