Let's talk safety

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Bob Gleason

Re: Let's talk safety

Post by Bob Gleason »

Diane- Don't be offended, but this is my take on a lot of these gadgets. I have a plastic push thingy that is not the same one you have, but must be related by birth. It is a marvel of design, I'll give it that. I'm as guilty as anyone in buying some of these gadgets. I often come across parts in the shop of some jig I bought and I can't remember how to use it or what the jig even is. My push device is so tricked out that I almost never use it. It makes for a great u-Tube sales video, but it is simply impractical for me to use it in the shop. The bottom line is use whatever you feel safe using. I doubt that the people who design these things use them for hours in the shop, switching parts all the time. Personally I would probably feel safer having the blade hit a wooden push device rather than a plastic one that can shatter or bind in the blade slot. I'll post my rabbits if I ever make them. Good luck with your projects. Bob
Rag Thumb

Post by Rag Thumb »

This is a very important topic, and I enjoyed and paid attention to everyone's comments. I will check out the "Grabber" as that action of pushing wood through the table saw does make me nervous.

However, most importantly second what John listed as one of his safety suggestions: PAY ATTENTION! I often have to re-focus on what I'm doing because I've let my mind wander. What is even worse is when a visitor comes into the shop and tries to grab my attention while I am in the middle of a cut of any sort.

I have very little of my hearing left and even recently got a cochlear implant, so believe me - protecting your hearing is important. I encourage everyone to take the time to put on hearing protection.
------------

Rex
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Rag Thumb wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:48 pm This is a very important topic, and I enjoyed and paid attention to everyone's comments. I will check out the "Grabber" as that action of pushing wood through the table saw does make me nervous.

However, most importantly second what John listed as one of his safety suggestions: PAY ATTENTION! I often have to re-focus on what I'm doing because I've let my mind wander. What is even worse is when a visitor comes into the shop and tries to grab my attention while I am in the middle of a cut of any sort.

I have very little of my hearing left and even recently got a cochlear implant, so believe me - protecting your hearing is important. I encourage everyone to take the time to put on hearing protection.
Absolutely!

The VA just got me a set of hearing aids, not for extreme hearing loss, but because I have extremely loud tinnitus. The aids transmit a noise that masks the constant ringing. The ringing is damage from loud noise.

I can't imagine having to get a cochlear. I'm sure you value your hearing more than those of us who don't have a profound loss; we take hearing for granted.

Thank you for your comment.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Great thread. I wanted to ask about shop vac filtration: does anyone upgrade their shop vacs with a filter bag and/or a HEPA filter? I think sawdust particles are fairly large relatively speaking but had a video pop up on youtube about this and it looked interesting, but also like it might be more geared towards drywall and concrete dust which are finer.

I definitely have a reaction to rosewood sawdust and tearing into the sander this weekend reminded me that I need to get this stuff under control.

Thanks
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

My shopvac doesn't have a filter or bag at the moment. But, I run a WEN shop hepa filter, which filters everything. It's the best $140 I've spent.

WEN 3410 3-Speed Remote-Controlled Air Filtration System (300/350/400 CFM), Basic w/ RF Remote (400 CFM) , Black https://a.co/d/5Nz180d
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

push sticks are dangerous I use push blocks you want a larger surface area I have seen push stick impale a hand
not mine
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

One thing I always do when ripping on my tablesaw is hook a couple fingers over the rip fence to hold my hand away from the blade.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

never set the blade higher than you want to get cut. Accidents do happen so be prepared . If your set up gets you thinking rethink the set up.
One of the most basic push thingies I saw , my friend Jimmie Hall made a simple block that rode on the rip fence both sides it had a rubble pad and a little push lip on the end. Your hand is above the fence and out of the way,
As rag thumb knows It isn't fun to put the thumb in the blade. I have now a SAW STOP. funny $3500 for the saw stop $3500 for the medical bill good trade as they say.

no one wants to see anyone get nailed
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Was wondering if anyone uses or knows if you can use noise cancelling ear buds in the shop?

I use foam earplugs but they're not that effective because I usually think of them after I've started the cut!

So I was wondering if earbuds with noise cancelling would allow you to listen to music but then kick into noise cancelling mode when you fire up a machine?
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
JLT

Post by JLT »

Morecowbell wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:15 pm Was wondering if anyone uses or knows if you can use noise cancelling ear buds in the shop?

I use foam earplugs but they're not that effective because I usually think of them after I've started the cut!
Noise cancelling earbuds or headphones might work. I'd be interested in seeing some response to this suggestion.

I myself use the old-fashioned ear protectors like the ones they use at the airport when they're parking the jets. I can't hear anything when they're on, and they keep the noise of the power tools to a comfortable level. So I guess I'm covered.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned but is a principle of woodworking: when you're using any sharp object like a chisel or a knife, always cut AWAY from the hand that isn't using the tool. And the use of a whittler's glove is recommended any time you have to hold the work in your hand:

Woodcraft has these:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/prot ... ves-m-fino

but I'm sure they're available elsewhere.