Let's talk safety

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Diane Kauffmds

Let's talk safety

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I consider myself to be extremely safety conscious in the shop. I think it's a holdover from the lab. I try to think of everything that I do, from the angle that I chisel, to using the table and bandsaw. I've had a couple of accidents. Luckily, I've only required stitches once.

So my question to everyone on the forum is, what kind of safety measures and/or tools do you use and recommend?

Probably the most uncomfortable situation for me is when I have to remove all of the safeties from the tablesaw in order to saw a thinner piece of wood. The wood can lift, it can recoil and shoot like a rocket backward towards me (which is why I absolutely never stand directly behind what I'm sawing, safety in place or not).

That exposed blade gives me the wiliies. I've finally bought the Milescraft GrabberPRO professional safety pushblock. I chose it because I'm familiar with their circle cutter, a very well-made and thought out tool. I vascilated between the Milescraft and the venerable Grr-ripper pushblock. But as I said, I own a milescraft tool, so I knew it would be well-made.

So, I'm starting off this topic with my latest investment, the Milescraft GrabberPRO. The gripper pro comes with a sacrificial heel. Extra heels can be bought in packs of 10.

I'm also going to invest in featherboards. I'm also leaning towards the Milescraft professional 1407, d/t tandem featherboard.

Milescraft 3406 GrabberPRO - Push block for Table Saws, Router Tables, Band Saws & Jointers https://a.co/d/4VCd6wz
20220616_105751.jpg
20220616_111938.jpg
20220616_111945.jpg
20220616_111953.jpg
20220616_112003.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Let's talk safety

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'm also going to get another push stick. Of course my tablesaw has a push stick, but I inevitably need 2. There are better choices than using a piece of scrap wood.

I decided I'm going to buy the Hedgehog Push stick. I like the offset, the angled handle, and the fact that it's only 3/8" wide.

Premium Hedgehog Push Block for Table Saws and Router Tables https://a.co/d/eoJBtha
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

This is the featherboard I'm going to buy. It's a tandem, or dual board that can be taken apart and used as 2 fingerboards.

I know there are cheaper alternatives to everything I've listed. But when I make decisions on tools, I decide based on build and utility. I'd rather spend a little more now to get something that lasts, than to save $5-10, only to have to replace it a year or so down the road. It's cheaper in the long run to buy decent tools.

Plus, this is personal safety and I don't scrimp when it comes to safety.

I guess if anything, I'd look at buying a good, albeit less expensive, featherboard set. There are nice double sets out there that are $10 less. But I like how the Milescraft configures. I'm still deciding.

I'd really love to hear from everyone. What do you recommend. What do you warn against? Do you have any techniques you'd like to share?
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Great info Diane and an important subject.
I am scared of my cheap little table saw, but it's less scary when I use the sled I made for it. My friend has the Gripper and loves it.
The bandsaw is just as dangerous, maybe more so but for some reason it doesn't bother me in the same way.
The place I'm lacking in protecting myself is the floating dust category. Don't like wearing dust masks. Tried the hanging air filter....didn't use it. So I blow fans to move the dust around......like that doesn't help much. Ha!
And I was a Safety Manager in a large Olive cannery!
We don't always follow our own advice.
Thanks for sharing!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Kevin, I just bought a WEN shop filter. It's a remote with 3 speeds, and can run continuously, or timed to go off after 1, 2, or 4, hours.
It's under $150. I like it a lot.

The Milescraft pushblock works with bandsaws too. I have a healthy fear of all Saws! Haha

WEN 3410 3-Speed Remote-Controlled Air Filtration System (300/350/400 CFM), Basic w/ RF Remote (400 CFM) https://a.co/d/1ZgPqe7
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Trouble with any safety gadget is that they are often too much trouble to adjust and they end up sitting on the shelf. I have a shelf of those. For the tablesaw a good shopmade pushstick is hard to beat. Can be made quickly in any thickness. I'll try to take a photo of mine today. I rarely use 10" blades on my Powermatic 10" tablesaw. I use the smallest diameter, down to 5", blades that I can. Less friction, generally less cost, thinner kerf. When I do use larger blades, I use good quality blades, like Forrest, and I send them out regularly to be resharpened. Similarly, with the bandsaw, sharp blades break less often and require less force to push the stock through, so less chance of anything happening. Probably, and unfortunately there is no way to completely plan for this , luck has a certain amount of presence in the shop. I have been bitten by almost every power tool I own over the last 40-50 years. LUCKILY never too seriously. Stay safe!
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

All good advice - I have sometimes been more lucky than smart with power tools. But I will put in a plug here for hearing protection. I've worked off and on building houses and cabinets and renovating my own houses - with hearing protection deemed adequate for the era. For almost forty years now I've suffered from tinnitus and high-frequency loss. Worksafe (workers comp) has now bought me hearing aids, which are a marvel of micro-electronics, but they have many limitations. I am a long-time birder and guitar hacker, and aids are only minimally useful for the former, and a liability for the latter. Protect your hearing - you don't want to live with hearing loss, and you don't want to live with hearing aids. Bruce W.
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

All true about power tools that can instantly do permanent damage.

And I want to add something that doesn't cost a dime: Many posted pictures show bare feet or feet in sandals (same thing) in the work area. Folks, wear real shoes in the shop. Save your loved ones from having to lug your backside to the ER. The damage doesn't have to be direct, distraction and surprise will do all that's needed.
peter havriluk
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Yes, proper shoes are a must. I am also paranoid about stumbling and doing a faceplant on a spinning tablesaw, so I am careful to sweep often around the saw and pick up any scraps of wood. (I am quite the slob otherwise) Additionally, a saw that’s just been turned off can still do major damage, so be aware of that. Learned that one with a little loss of flesh.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

phavriluk wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:46 pm All true about power tools that can instantly do permanent damage.

And I want to add something that doesn't cost a dime: Many posted pictures show bare feet or feet in sandals (same thing) in the work area. Folks, wear real shoes in the shop. Save your loved ones from having to lug your backside to the ER. The damage doesn't have to be direct, distraction and surprise will do all that's needed.
You're absolutely right. Proper clothing and especially closed shoes are a must. Again, a holdover from lab days, you'll never see me in open shoes, and rarely in shorts.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars