Let's talk safety

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Let's talk safety

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Stray Feathers wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:47 pm All good advice - I have sometimes been more lucky than smart with power tools. But I will put in a plug here for hearing protection. I've worked off and on building houses and cabinets and renovating my own houses - with hearing protection deemed adequate for the era. For almost forty years now I've suffered from tinnitus and high-frequency loss. Worksafe (workers comp) has now bought me hearing aids, which are a marvel of micro-electronics, but they have many limitations. I am a long-time birder and guitar hacker, and aids are only minimally useful for the former, and a liability for the latter. Protect your hearing - you don't want to live with hearing loss, and you don't want to live with hearing aids. Bruce W.
I have severe tinnitus too, and the equipment isn't helping. Mine came from inadequate hearing protection on the firing range when i was active duty Air Force. I have an appointment this coming week with an audiologist.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

What Bob Gleason mentioned about using good sharp blades is so true. After changing the blade on my dewalt tablesaw to a Freud, everything glides through. I put a good blade on the bandsaw and it makes all the difference in the world.

This holds exceptionally true for chisels. One of the most dangerous shop tools is a dull chisel. You need to keep a keen edge on them. Otherwise you have to exert a lot of pressure and when it suddenly gives, you lose control.

You don't have to spend a lot of money on chisels, but I implore you NOT to use really cheap chisels from Harbor Freight. They will not hold an edge. Not only do you risk cutting yourself, you risk doing real damage to your hands. I got tired of trying to keep the HF chisels sharp. The end result was reconstructive surgery on both of my hands after my first build.

Get yourself decent hand tools folks. You only need one or two decent chisels. I threw every one of those cheap chisels out. I've slowly amassed a pretty good collection of chisels. But it only takes one good one. Irwin Blue Chip comes to mind. They're decent, reasonably priced chisels.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

I use these shop made rabbits that I make in various sizes from scrap. I use them mainly on the table saw and jointer. They hook the end of the workpiece so that you can safely push the wood past the blade or cutters. Photos are of a single rabbit and the multiples are a fluffle of rabbits (It's a real word). I have not yet worked up to the herd level, which is a number of fluffles. For real!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Bob did use some beautiful Koa scraps for that one Rabbit?
John Reid

Post by John Reid »

For me, when I decide what tool to use for a job, I try to factor in safety.

For example, I’m not particularly fond of using the table saw, and will sometimes opt for a hand saw. I was building Adirondack chairs a few years ago and had to make a bunch of repetitive cuts. The table saw would’ve made quick work of it, but instead I got out the hand saw and settled into it. I found it much more relaxing, quieter, less dusty and I could hear the stereo better.

Another example, I haven’t had much experience with a router table and had been using a router table set up to cut slots in wood. My setup really made me nervous. I don’t think I really had the wood secure enough as I moved it. So, I tried something else. I ended up drilling a set of holes on the drill press then filing them to form a slot. I felt a whole lot more comfortable with that method given my limited skills.
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Diane made a good point which I'm going to repeat: Long pants in the shop, please. Cuts down on the surprises and chemical burns (CA puddles, for instance) on bare flesh.

And once I did a guest safety inspection at a military repair shop, extension cords and air hoses all over the floor just waiting to get tripped on.

And beware the dangling laces on hoodie sweatshirts.
peter havriluk
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You can have mishaps on the most innocuous things.

You wouldn't think a 5" disc sander, with relatively low rpm could do much. The sander turns counterclockwise. I was sanding a 6" piece of wood and when the sander caught it on the right side (at this angle, lifting up) the wood bucked and did something nasty to the second joint of the middle finger of my right hand. As much as I tried to straighten it daily, it won't straighten and is quite painful. It clicks when I move it. I use wood now to hold whatever I'm sanding.

Peter made another excellent point. Keep the floor clear. I have problems with my balance, so it doesn't take much for me to fall. I'm really leery of tripping or losing my balance, especially in the tool room.

Sometimes, the better part of Valor is to just let it drop. I think most people have the inclination to try to catch what you drop. I don't. If I drop a chisel, saw, or soldering iron, i move quickly out of the way and retrieve it once it's on the floor. It might chip the chisel, but I don't end up with it in my hand, or with cuts or burns on my arms. I also pick up everything that I drop. I found an old fret sticking out of the sole of my shoe once. If I drop a screw, I pick it up. Besides, Marty the kitten is my constant shop hand. I can't allow him to step on something or play with anything dangerous. (I kick him out when I'm working with any tools, much to his annoyance).

I've been bad about putting things away as I use them, which creates clutter. I've just rearranged and cleaned the shop. I'm creating the new habit called 1 tool at a time. I'm putting things away as they should be.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
jread

Post by jread »

Excellent topic. Staying safe is something you have to keep on the front of your mind every day. If I feel my mojo or focus is off, I shut down the shop. Here's my short list:

* Eye protection!
* Ear protection!
* Don't be creative with power tools. Use stable, big pieces, and smooth familiar cuts.
* Air cleaner, dust masks.
* Clean work space, well lit.
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Nothing but shorts worn in Hawaiian shops! Just a way of life. I have that same little sander that Diane has. I think I have it because she recommended it once here. Terrific little tool. It is next to me at the bench always, and constantly used. Pretty gently for a sander, but I agree that sanders are very dangerous. Unlike cutting edge tools, which cut off pieces that can maybe be re-attached (I have a ring finger like that from childhood) ,when you get tangled up with a sander, there is nothing left to put back on. Most work in the shop is truthfully "living on the edge". Best to be very careful, but stuff happens! And don't give me grief about the clutter on my bench. It was the end of the day and the other benches were full!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Bob, my benches and shop have looked much worse. I understand the shorts. I've worn them in the summer. With the dehumidifier running, the shop gets really warm. But I also make sure I have my shop apron on when I wear shorts.

It's really a holdover from working in labs around dangerous chemicals and human samples that you really don't want to contact.

I love that little sander too. I use it daily. So, you know how innocuous it seems compared to large shop disc sanders. That right side can buck whatever your sanding si fast you won't know what hit.

I've made a couple of jigs to handle this. I made a clamp from 2 pieces of thin (~ 1/8") plywood. I've got 2 pieces about 3" x 4", with a strip of 1/4" square wood, glued between at the bottom. I have a wingnut about center. I put things in the end, like a nut blank, and tighten the screw. The plywood is very flexible so it clamps the nut or saddle blank. I can then shape them on the sander without by fingers as casualties or losing it between the disc and table.

I'll try to find a photo, if not. I'll take one. I turned it over to the glued end, and made a lip. The lip holds things down, like braces, and keeps them from jumping up.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars