John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
jread

Re: double C clamps

Post by jread »

Nice. I've never seen one like this. When I got started building, I would buy any clamp I didn't already have one or two at a time to start building up the tool collection. Man, there's a lot of crappy clamps for sale out there. I'm surprised how many I've tossed into the garbage.
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

I asked John about these this week and he pointed me to Zoro tools. Ordered them Thursday morning and they arrived today. Cost $15 ea. Going to use them this coming week. Will be much easier than juggling 4 clamps per block. Thx John.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Can you please explain how you use these? I have one (different brand) and have not been able to get a tight glue job gluing the sides to the curved outer surface of the block, either clamping when in the mould, or out of the mould. I get better results with multiple clamps - but it is more fiddly for sure. Bruce W.
krrtlr1

Post by krrtlr1 »

Those look good. Thank you for the link John!
Res Firma Mitescere Nescit
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

Stray Feathers wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:29 pm Can you please explain how you use these? I

Check out the Blues Creek videos on YouTube. John introduces these clamps in his video on building the rims. I think they will make gluing the blocks easier.
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Haha! Great idea, thanks John!
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

Hey Stray Feathers. I was gluing up a rim today which reminded me of your above question above.
I start out with the rim in the mold, top side down on the work bench. In addition to two spreaders, I usually add clamps around the rim to ensure the sides fit tight before gluing the end blocks.
I started today with the tail block. I add the first double clamp to the exposed back side of the rim.
Once it is tight and I ensure everything is still squared up, I rotate the mold to its side. Since I have added the extra clamps, it wants to turn over. I lightly clamp the other end of the mold into a bench clamp just to,stabilize it.
Then I add the top side double clamp.
This may seem like an arduous process, but, I’m not trying to make a living at this, so, I don’t mind the extra set up work. To me it is a lot easier than trying to juggle 4 clamps round an end block.
Hopes this helps.
D2BCE1D5-0895-49BA-9B1D-2E119D94E470.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

These are nice to have.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com