12-string capos

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Stray Feathers

12-string capos

Post by Stray Feathers »

Not sure if "Tools" is the right place for this but . . .

I was having issues setting up my first 12-string, and was trying tuning it two frets low, and using a capo on the second fret. My 25-year-old Shubb, which I thought was a 12-string capo, was a little skimpy, and a Kyser was not tight enough. So I was researching capos and found this one with some good reviews:

https://www.g7th.com/12-string

The "compensated" rubber pad seemed like a good idea so I got my local guitar shop to order one for me. It seemed to work as promised in the beginning, but gradually the adjustment screw ran out of travel, and it was not quite tight enough. When I examined it more closely I found that a nylon or plastic pad on which the ball end of the adjustment screw rides was worn and cracked (see photo). It was only two months old, so I showed the shop, but they did not have another in stock to replace it immediately, so I contacted support at the G7 web site. I got an immediate friendly and helpful response, and after a couple of emails and a photo, they are sending me a replacement. I will keep an eye on it when I start using it, and post updates. Meanwhile I purchased a new Shubb 12-string capo, and it is much better than my old one, but still does not clamp all thicknesses of strings equally (despite what their literature says). It also seems that more curve in the arm would help (the fretboard radius is 14") but they advise against that. If anyone has any thoughts about any 12-string capos I'm all ears. Bruce W.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JLT

Re: 12-string capos

Post by JLT »

I built myself a compensated capo for my Yamaha 12-string, using a strip of hard rubber and hollowing out the grooves for the thicker strings and leaving the pressure points of the narrower strings untouched. It works pretty well.

If you've got the skills to make a proper nut, you can do this. Easy peasy.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

The G7 company did send me a replacement capo. I have been alternating it with the Shubb I bought, and I can't say either is perfect. Neither seems to have enough curvature in the bar to clamp all strings effectively without overclamping some and forcing them out of tune. And my fretboard is only 14" radius. The Shubb arm looks like it could be bent a little more but I think the G7 would break. I might try to get a replacement pad for the Shubb and experiment with compensating it, as JLT suggests. The weak spot in the G7 seems the same - they say you can adjust the screw when the capo is in place, but I think that might have contributed to the nylon part wearing prematurely in the first one. Still experimenting - Bruce W.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I don't own a 12-string, but I own a Shubb and a Paige cradle style capo. I really like the cradle capo. It adjusts nicely to the fb radius, much more than others that have an open end.

Taylor makes a 12-string cradle capo. Maybe this will work for you. According to some reviews, it works on other guitars too.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--TAY80494? ... nUQAvD_BwE
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

It makes sense that a cradle capo would accommodate a wider neck better. G7 makes them too, and has a model for 12-string with their patented compensated pad, but for some reason it is over $200 USD. Yikes. I think I need to be looking at what the radius is on these things too. I'll have a look at the Taylor, thanks Diane.

https://www.g7th.com/heritage-guitar-12 ... neck-width