More on the CNC Frontlines

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Diane Kauffmds

More on the CNC Frontlines

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

After setting aside my wee CNC machine for the time being, to play catch up on guitar work, I delved back into it. I have a decent 3D software, but I needed a good 2D software for cutting out inlay and matching pockets. I bought Vectric's lowest level software, cut2d desktop yesterday.

I was encouraged when I found the make and model of my machine while downloading Vectric's software. I figured if they had my little machine, they must support the gcode in its entirety. Today I programmed a very simple logo, just 2 initials and a butterfly, then generated a tool path for an inlay pocket, and the gcode. This was the result. This is just scrap pine, which I didn't bother to take out of the machine or clean. But you can see the "CR" and recognize the little butterfly. They're actually a very cleanly routed pockets. Vectric generated the code which ran my machine with no errors or glitches whatsoever. The interface was very intuitive.

So, tomorrow I'm going to program it to cut out a couple of things for inlay.
20211105_183917.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Skarsaune

Re: More on the CNC Frontlines

Post by Skarsaune »

I’m using Vectric’s VCarve desktop, one step up from the cut2d product.

Been doing logos also:
4BCBB812-B4AB-459E-9241-A8CC48956688.jpeg
C22EF9E7-6D7F-47A9-B44C-2248E8880ABB.jpeg
The addition with moving to VCarve is you can cut a 3d part - can’t model it, but you can cut it. I did the neck profile on this one with it:
664D7BA9-95A7-4162-9949-E49E295E8288.jpeg
Busy with full-size woodworking lately - made a rocker, chainsaw milling today, making shiplap tomorrow - along with the day job(s). Hope to get back on guitars more now that it’s cold.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've cut out some shell today for the first time on the CNC. I'm getting used to it.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Looking good, bet it's a lot easier on the wrist and hand, looks like you will be ready for some contract work soon. Maybe you could put a "J" on a pile of finished necks for me. Might be cheaper than buying my own machine and I wouldn't have to learn anything new....
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

I have been using Vectric software for the past five years. It does everything I need or want. I have looked at many other software programs and none are as intuitive or easy to use as the Vectric products. However, I would seriously consider upgrading to VCarve Pro. It allows you to bring into the drawing a 3d object to utilize with your 2D drawing. With this capability, you can easily do fretboards and bridges in addition to all of the 2D projects that are possible. Lastly, Vectric gives you a full value trade-in when you upgrade so you have lost nothing trying the lesser products!
Sylvan
Sylvan Wells
Wells Guitars
Bay State Guitars
http://www.wellsguitars.com
http://www.baystateguitars.com
Skarsaune

Post by Skarsaune »

VCarve desktop lets you import 3D models and machine them as well.

Biggest thing I see with Pro is unlimited size projects; desk top limits you to 24x24 IIRC.

Product comparison page:
https://www.vectric.com/products

And yes it's super nice that the cost to upgrade is like trading in your old software at full price.
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

Regarding Pro vs. Desktop offerings for Vectric, Pro adds support for gadgets. The Fret Board Maker gadget is free, and can do all the standard layouts. It also supports multi-scale and, if you have Aspire, compound radius. It works with versions 9.5 through 11.
Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 12.32.54 PM.png
Last edited by rcnewcomb on Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Do you have a horizontal spindle on your cnc to cut the fret slots with? If not, how do you do it?
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

MaineGeezer wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:05 pm Do you have a horizontal spindle on your cnc to cut the fret slots with? If not, how do you do it?
I won't be slotting, but I will be inlaying. If I were to slot, this is how I would do it on my machine:

I don't know how your cnc is set up, but on my cnc, the gantry holding the router is on the x-axis, therefore my cnc cuts on the x-axis. The table advances on the y-axis.

I would align a fretboard along the y-axis, so that my cnc will cut a slot across the board on the x-axis, then the table would advance on the y-axis to the next programmed slot where the spindle would cut another slot across the board.

You'd have to use a mighty small bit. Most fret tang is .019-.023". That's smaller than 1/32".
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Skarsaune

Post by Skarsaune »

Precisebits.com has a pretty good selection of fret slotting bits.

https://www.precisebits.com/products/ca ... cutter.asp

No need for a horizontal spindle - you use an end cutting bit, not a saw to create the slots.

Runout in the spindle is super important at this small of a size. Another reason to use a spindle with real ER style collets instead of a router with router collets.

I have a router and a selection of fret slotting bits and will be cutting a test fret board as soon as I get some round to-its.