Guitar Tuner

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Diane Kauffmds

Guitar Tuner

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've always used the Snark Super Tight tuners in my shop, and on my personal guitars (Peterson Strobe clip on too). The Snarks have an inherent weakness in the place where the articulation arm fits; it breaks. But, I finally had 2 of them just quit, which has never happened before.

I found this tuner on Amazon. Wow! Frankly, it beats the Snark to death. It's as fast as the Snark, but it'll show you how many cents you're off. The Snark showed my guitar in tune; at the same time, the Lekado, showed it to be 2 cents flat. When I brought it into tune on the Lekato, the Snark still showed it in tune.

The Lekato show you the frequency, cents, string number, and note. It has other functions, like metronome. It has a kick stand, to sit it up if you want.

Plus, it's RECHARGEABLE!

You can plug directly into it, if the guitar has a jack, or use the provided jack to clip to the headstock. It works perfect on acoustics with no jack.

The drawback is that it's not an integrated clip-on unit. Lekato makes two clip-on tuners, one rechargeable. I don't think they show the accuracy of this one, but I'm sure they're worth looking at and they're as accurate as the Snark. The articulation heads look better than the all plastic Snark.

If you order, make sure you checkmark the 20% off coupon.

If you order more than one like I did, order each separately., otherwise you'll only get 20% off on one, not all.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088684C5D/re ... UTF8&psc=1
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Stray Feathers

Re: Guitar Tuner

Post by Stray Feathers »

A local independent music store I go to told me that the Snark loses accuracy as the battery weakens (and I found that), and they use, recommend and sell this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/Rechargeable-Rota ... B01FUFVHWY

Like yours, it reads down to cents, works way better than the Snark, and is rechargeable. It works for several instruments. Bruce W.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Bruce, I found that the Snark lost accuracy as well, as the battery weakened. I went through a lot of batteries.

Does the tuner that you link to, detect the strings on fret 12, for intonation? Some clip-ons don't. I just sent one back that didn't detect the strings when fretted on 12, even with a full charge.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

That's a good question, and I had to check to find out. It does read both the 12th fret and the harmonic. I didn't have it when I set up my first two guitars, so I downloaded a tuner to my laptop (which was not very convenient). But I am almost ready to buff my next guitar so I will soon see how this tuner works in setting it up. Bruce W.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Thanks Bruce. That's really important in a good tuner. I've ordered 3 more of the Lekado tuners, I'm so impressed. The price is nice with 20% off.

But I'd like one more integrated clip-on. The one you mentioned looks well-made.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Pictures for you. I've clipped the Lekado and Peterson Strobe on the headstock, side by side. As you can see, it's extremely accurate and has the fastest capture I've ever encountered.

Left to right:

G= guitar
6E = string 6, E (note)
3G = string 2, G (note)
-04 = 4 cents flat
Red light on left = flat note
Green light = in tune

20210609_145055.jpg
20210609_145125.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I was so impressed with the tuner, I ordered 3 more, which arrived today. I tested them against the first one, since the first one was dead-on accurate with the Peterson Strobe.

All 3 tested identical with the first tuner, so the company has good quality control. I would have accepted a +/-1 cent differential, but each one tested identically with the first Lekado tuner on open, fret 12, and harmonics.

Can't get much better than that!
20210610_185721.jpg
20210610_185744.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
alankap

Post by alankap »

Looks like its a good tuner.
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

I meant to revisit this thread myself, because the tuner I praised earlier failed me this past summer. It was during the "heat dome" we experienced in southwestern BC (temps at our place to 40ºC) and I wondered if the heat did it, because it rallied for a short time after, but then failed again. I took it back to the shop that recommended it to me, and they replaced it without question, saying the distributor stood behind it and would replace it for them. The new one has been fine, but I hope it is just a one-off lemon and not a sign of poor quality control. Bruce W.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Stray Feathers wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:27 pm I meant to revisit this thread myself, because the tuner I praised earlier failed me this past summer. It was during the "heat dome" we experienced in southwestern BC (temps at our place to 40ºC) and I wondered if the heat did it, because it rallied for a short time after, but then failed again. I took it back to the shop that recommended it to me, and they replaced it without question, saying the distributor stood behind it and would replace it for them. The new one has been fine, but I hope it is just a one-off lemon and not a sign of poor quality control. Bruce W.
Hey, at least they stood by it. I suppose anything is possible, but unless it's sitting directly in the sun, I'm not sure what temp would harm it. Did you look at the paperwork? I just checked the paperwork that came with mine and all it says is don't use them in freezing conditions, high heat, or high humidity. But, they don't define "high heat or high humidity". I can't even find the info for the Peterson Strobe that I own.

I would think that 40°C would be okay, in the shade, but might make the battery decay faster. I'm thinking most electronics start frying with temps at or above 120° F (48.9° C). But the other factor is humidity.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars