At the risk of being laughed out of the forum...

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
banjopicks

Re: At the risk of being laughed out of the forum...

Post by banjopicks »

I'm enjoying this post. How about using a 1/16 bit at a faster rate and switching to the 1/32 for the details?
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

That is certainly possible. With the size letters Diane is cutting though, 1/16" may not fit.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

for small inlay 1/32 is fine you get more detail and sharper corners
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

banjopicks wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:04 am I'm enjoying this post. How about using a 1/16 bit at a faster rate and switching to the 1/32 for the details?
I tried the 1/16" bit. It was too big. The software wouldn't even program it for the letters to be cut out, because of the offset; it just turned them into powder. I did use it for my logo pocket and it was okay, but it had a tendency to pretty much grind away the little areas in the center of the "o" and "a" that make the letters really differentiate from each other. When I reduced the logo size, I had to use a maximum of 1mm bit.

I'm using a 1/16 bit in this picture. See what I mean about the o and a.
20211116_100224.jpg
20211121_133452.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Diane Kauffmds wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:50 am
banjopicks wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:04 am I'm enjoying this post. How about using a 1/16 bit at a faster rate and switching to the 1/32 for the details?
I tried the 1/16" bit. It was too big. The software wouldn't even program it for the letters to be cut out, because of the offset; it just turned them into powder. I did use it for my logo pocket and it was okay, but it had a tendency to pretty much grind away the little areas in the center of the "o" and "a" that make the letters really differentiate from each other. When I reduced the logo size, I had to use a maximum of 1mm bit.

I can probably speed up the feed a bit. I'm sure I'm over compensating. But I think it'll be easier to start out slow, then add speed incrementally, until I reach a comfortable compromise, than having bits break and trying to figure out if it's feed rate, spindle speed, plunge rate, or cut depth.

Mathematically it's better to start where all variables work, then tweak 1 variable. I slowed down the feed rate to 50mm/minute. I have to double check the spindle speed. I think the spindle speed is the first thing I need to speed up to clear trash out of the way.

I'm using a 1/16 bit in this picture. See what I mean about the o and a.
20211116_100224.jpg
20211121_133452.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Now that I've got it going with a small bit, I'm changing to a 1/32" today to see what I can do.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

if you have the option you can do climb cuts and don't take more than .020 at a cut.
shoot some shellac to help control the fuzzies
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

tippie53 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:51 am if you have the option you can do climb cuts and don't take more than .020 at a cut.
shoot some shellac to help control the fuzzies
Will do John.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I cut the letters out of 1.25mm thick ablam with the 1/32" bit, with no broken bit (or broken letters). Finally, success...
20211123_090930.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
banjopicks

Post by banjopicks »

Nice. I guess you've proved this machine to be worthwhile. I'm seriously thinking about it. Thank you.