Saran wrap?

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Bob Gleason

Saran wrap?

Post by Bob Gleason »

Quite awhile back someone here mentioned using a clingy (? Saran Wrap) type of stuff instead of wax paper in some repair glue situations instead of wax paper. What was that stuff?- Bob
rcnewcomb

Re: Saran wrap?

Post by rcnewcomb »

It might be this thread: Press and Seal Food Wrap
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

That's it. Thanks.-Bob
BlindBo

Post by BlindBo »

Hey Bob. Included in Diane’s original thread was a reply from the inventor of Press and Seal. I don’t think he recommend using it on finished wood. After my experience with P&S, I’ve gone to using kraft construction paper (available at Lowe’s here) when masking large areas. I cut it to fit over the finished wood and tape it to the bindings. If I do have to tack it down to any wood, I remove as much of the tape adhesive as possible and then remove it as soon as the repair is applied. It seems to me that any adhesive marks on the bindings are easier to repair. It’s a little harder to fit the paper, but worth it to me. When covering the sides and either the top or back, I do the sides first where I can tape to the larger side of the binding and then tape the top or back potion to the side paper. Your mileage may vary!😂
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, I buy enough junk from Amazon that I never have to buy craft paper. It is what I use for covering lots of stuff, particularly when I'm gluing things. Amazon uses reams of it in their packaging padding, so I always have plenty. I was just wondering about the plastic wrap, for use instead of wax paper, for some operations where glue will get on the clamps or cauls. Sometimes wax paper can also be difficult to use, as Diane mentioned. Thanks, Bob
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I use press and seal. I've had no problems with the adhesive. But, I don't want to recommend anything that would harm any finish, so if you want something that would stick to finish, you might want to try plain cling wrap.

I have a couple of guitars that need finish work. I'll put that Press n seal on old nitro, shellac, and polyurethane (you're on your own with other finishes).

I'll record the date and time, and I'll conduct an experiment to see what the adhesive does to the finishes. I've only used it for maybe 3 days on an instrument, just under magnets while gluing cracks, with no harm done to any of these finishes. But, let's see how long it can stay in place and how safe it is to use.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com