binding bender

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
MaineGeezer

binding bender

Post by MaineGeezer »

Here's a gadget IO made for my friend Carter. His typical headstock design has several curves at the top. If he bound the headstock, it was taking an inordinate amount of time to cut all the fiddly bits, miter all the ends, and assemble it all. So he had the idea that if he could form the entire top section in one swell foop, it would make the process a lot faster and less tedious. So I traced his headstock outline and made this
DSC04960.JPG
He takes a piece of celluloid, heats it and the aluminum form with a heat gun until the celluloid gets soft, then mashes the two pieces of the form toghether, and there you are.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
rcnewcomb

Re: binding bender

Post by rcnewcomb »

Good solution!
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
krrtlr1

Post by krrtlr1 »

I like it. Nice build
Res Firma Mitescere Nescit
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Very nice!

And I must know how the metal pieces were done?
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

CNC. I drew the profile of the headstock usiing a CAD program, offset that curve inwards 1/16" to allow for the thickness of the binding, and fed those two curves to my CNC router.

I had to touch up the sharp inside corners with a file afterwards; you can't cut a sharp inside corner with a round cutter.
binding former.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Thanks. It's clear I need to up my game, the CNC world is calling...
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut