Scrapwood Uke

jread

Re: Scrapwood Uke

Post by jread »

Inspiration!
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Thanks, all, for comments. @stray feathers, I have two instruments ready to get made using cherry and walnut from trees in my yard. I had a guy with a portable sawmill come here and slice up some logs (pictures posted here 5(?)yrs ago). My plum tree came back after getting chopped down and had to get removed again, so I have some more plum air drying now. The concert and soprano uke are great platforms for trying new woods. I'm surprised how firm the sides are with the 2-ply curly maple veneer. I don't think I would try a guitar that way, but ukes, now, definitely.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

One month later... The uke is close to done; it needs a bridge and tuning pegs (edit--forgot frets, metal or gut also needed). Turning pegs is not much fun for me so I'm procrastinating. The peghead is veneered in ulmus procera, elm burl. The FB is from a busted Martin reject side, the neck, very old Spanish cedar and the top is from my 50 year old stash of euro spruce. Two more pix in next post and to All, Happy New Year!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Danl8 on Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

2 more pix.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

looking good - nice wood selection. What is your technique for the rosette rings so they don't show a seam?
Ed M
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Hi Ed,
I do a simple scarf joint with about a 1/4" overlap. The angle being fairly oblique, blends the purfling well. I know where joint is, but it's not very easy to see.
-dan.