burning wood

koa2019

burning wood

Post by koa2019 »

anybody experience burning of wood during the bending process my wood(walnut) has plenty of moisture my craft paper was soaked my temp controller was set to 300 degrees i noticed the wood started burning at only 210 degrees on the thermometer i went ahead with the bend the temp spiked over the set temp so i shut off the the blanket and let it completely cool down and noticed the wood was burned i have never experienced this before????????????
any suggestions ?????
Diane Kauffmds

Re: burning wood

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I don't know which kind of temp control that you have, so I'm going to ask a lame brained question. You're sure that you're temp control was set for farenheit, and not accidentally switched to centigrade (if you have this option)?
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

yup you had it on Centigrade
wood won't scorch until you get into the high 300s in F
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
koa2019

Post by koa2019 »

I have the lmi temp controller it has worked fine until now I originally set it up to read F. So I don't know how it could've got switched to C.
I'll check it though
Thanks , john
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I've scorched guitar sides I was bending in a Fox-style bender when I didn't have the temperature probe on the same side of the wood as the heat blanket (or on the outside of the heat blanket). Comtroller was set to 300 degrees (f), too.
peter havriluk
koa2019

Post by koa2019 »

The 120 volt lmi temp controller only reads in F. I think the temp lead for temp controller is bad and reading the wrong temp. I'm replacing the lead we will see how it compares
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I agree with Peter. Either your probe is bad, or it may not have been in contact with the wood and your controller continued to heat up.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
koa2019

Post by koa2019 »

No the temp probe was in between the wood and the blanket its possible I had the probe plugged in the controller backwards and it was not reading the correct temp.
carld05

Post by carld05 »

I've had the probe between the wood and the blanket and ended up with two charred areas on either side of the probe. I assumed that the small spaces where air could be increased the temp causing that. I put the probe outside the blanket now...no problems.
koa2019

Post by koa2019 »

thanks, for all the info.