Couple more tenors

Stray Feathers

Couple more tenors

Post by Stray Feathers »

I have two more tenor ukuleles started. The first was started some time ago, but shelved because I broke the Ovangkol sides in the bender. I finally got organized and found some wood to cut replacement sides out of. It's a little lighter than the original back but will be okay I think.You can see the cracks in the original sides at the top of the photo. The top is Western Redcedar.

The second one is number 9 and is Australian Blackwood. I had bought some nice spruce guitar tops, and a couple were big enough only for small guitars. This one had some bearclaw figure along the centre seam so I decided to use it for this ukulele. The neck was roughed out previously for the ill-fated Ovangkol uke, but will now go on this one, since it is further along and I want to finish it for a big art event in town in August. We'll see . . . Bruce W.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Couple more tenors

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Nice
Looks like a tiny OM
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

Progress on this while also working on a 00 guitar. After a cool spring I am finally able to get outside to spray. I've just done two sealer coats on the Blackwood uke. The Ovangkol uke is set aside again. I am not happy with the side bending, which I have been doing using my Fox bender modified for ukes. The 34" blanket and slats are too unwieldy. So I have found a 24" blanket, and have ordered 24" slats from John Hall, and will try rebending the sides when I get the new bits. Bruce W.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
saltytri

Post by saltytri »

Lookin' good!

You'll likely be very pleased with John's 24" blanket and slats. I've built my benders around these, one for tenors and an entirely separate one for concerts. Having done lots of ukes with a guitar sized bender and interchangeable bending patterns, I find the smaller, dedicated benders to be a better match for my work flow.