Stamping the neck block in kit guitars

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
Gibsonman

Stamping the neck block in kit guitars

Post by Gibsonman »

Just wandering since the dovetail has already been cut into the neck block on kit guitars if it is strong enough to stamp numbers or letters on it, using stamps and hammer??
Danl8

Re: Stamping the neck block in kit guitars

Post by Danl8 »

Should be ok. Back up the wood opposite where you're hammering. Taking a punch to the area just in front of the dovetail mortise might cause a split if you don't. It doesn't take much to get the numbers in if the block is cedar or mahogany. As always, practicing on scrap won't cause any harm.
Gibsonman

Post by Gibsonman »

Thanks I would do that anyway. I didn't think it would hurt anything and Mahogany like you said is soft and you would not be hitting it that hard.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

You may have already figured this out, but -- assuming you're right handed and hold the stamp with your left hand and the hammer with your right -- it's easier to see what you're doing and easier to align and space the characters if you work from right to left. (i.e. stamp the last letter first.)

If you're a lefty, you have an inherent advantage. <grin>
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I clamp a little block of wood along the bottom so that the numbers are at least even in that dimension, of not evenly spaced

Ed
Ed M
Gibsonman

Post by Gibsonman »

Good information Thanks.