Glue for Bindings

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Glue for Bindings

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Dan

I have tried and liked this method with one exception. The super glue tends ti glue on much of the tape I use for holding the binding in place. I have perhaps 40-50% of the length of the binding taped, and the glue has no problem wicking under a couple of widths of tape, but it glues it on - any idea on how to prevent this nuisance?

Also, I have built furniture for years and have always kept a squeeze bottle of shellac on the bench and I find this is more important for guitars than furniture. I try to keep a couple of padded on coats on the top and putting shellac on with a folded piece of paper towel in the binding channels is dead easy.

Ed
Ed M
Dan Bombliss

Post by Dan Bombliss »

I don't use binding tape, so I am able to get my tape off. I'm using strapping tape for my binding. The thread inside enables you to pull as hard as you'd like on the tape, but the adhesive is still low-moderate, so it doesn't tear out anymore than binding tape would (maybe less in my experience). With that said, when I glue around the tape, it leaves a mess, but that mess is basically glue and thread mixed together. My aggressive cabinet scraper can do wonders to that, and a good random orbital sander can finish knocking it back pretty well.

All in all, it's much messier than standard gluing method, but it's so much easier to me that it's worth it. Knowing my binding is set how I want is worth it alone. There's nothing worse than mitering binding and purfling just so, gluing them in place, and re-taping; to find two hours later they had moved.

I switched to this process with wooden binding. This enabled me to "test clamp" the binding in place, and if I liked it I didn't have to untape it and hope for the best the second time around. If it looks good, you can glue it as it is. I'll also note that I generally go very convservative with the tape as well. I'll probably do 1 strip per 1-2" and then go back around and push on the binding looking for the gaps and soft spots. I'll then tape those secure, but that still leaves more space than standard taping would. That's when I go in with the super glue like I"m putting out a fire. When the area is glued, I go back and put "insurance" strips of tape over everything else.

It's basically the same way I do my rosettes as well. I like to know that it looks good before committing to it.

-Dan
Dan Bombliss

Post by Dan Bombliss »

I get my strapping tape from ace hardware. Only local source I've found with 3/4" wide rolls.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... 88.1305117
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I don't use binding tape - I have had great success with plain old blue painter's tape. When I take it off, there is no mess, no stringy thingies, and just the thin coat of glue that you mention that scrapes off. I was interested to know if you have a method for avoiding the scraping, but I guess not.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby1638/ ... 776959267/

I tend to tape pretty tightly as I go to avoid gaps that would be easier to close without the downstream loose end of the binding pulling because it is taped down - almost always at the waist. I add a bit more tape than what you see here, and I don'd add any after applying glue.

Thanks

Ed
Ed M
Dan Bombliss

Post by Dan Bombliss »

Regardless of what kind of glue you use, I swear by the strapping tape. It's worth a shot if you see it out there. It lets you pull extremely tight because of it's band strength, but still comes off easily, with out damaging the wood.