Case to fit Stew-Mac 000 12-fret?

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
JLT

Case to fit Stew-Mac 000 12-fret?

Post by JLT »

I recently bought a 000 kit from Blues Creek and will build it using the Stewart-MacDonald plans. I had planned to buy the 000 case that Woodwind and Brasswind was selling (around $90, with free shipping).

But I have been advised that this guitar may not fit a standard 000 case that was designed for the shorter-body 14-fret necks. I have also read on some of the other luthier forums that it's usually wiser to first buy the case, and then modify the guitar plans to suit the case, rather than to build the guitar and then hope to find a case that it will fit into.

So my question to you guys and gals who have built the Stew-Mac 000 12-fret guitar: Where did you end up buying a case for it? And did it fit reasonably well?

Re: Case to fit Stew-Mac 000 12-fret?

Post by   »

JLT wrote: I have also read on some of the other luthier forums that it's usually wiser to first buy the case, and then modify the guitar plans to suit the case, rather than to build the guitar and then hope to find a case that it will fit into.
Hmmm, that's some interesting logic....
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the 000-12 fret is a common size and is not too hard to get
Martin sells them at the GMC
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
mnmusic

Post by mnmusic »

tommyboy wrote:
JLT wrote: I have also read on some of the other luthier forums that it's usually wiser to first buy the case, and then modify the guitar plans to suit the case, rather than to build the guitar and then hope to find a case that it will fit into.
Yup, I gotta agree with that. Very strange.

Ed
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

If you're using a standard mold, it shouldn't be an issue. "Everybody" makes cases for Martin-size-designated guitars. You'll be able to find a case to fit the size guitar you build.

BUT: I did find out personally that some of the Chinese import cases are not accurately sized. They won't hold the size guitar they claim to, or at least not in a manner I find acceptable. It was allegedly a very good case. I'm unimpressed.

Fortunately, the Chinese case I bought is suitable for another guitar I have, and the case that one was in fits the guitar I'm building, so it all worked out.
I do recommend the so-called "Canadian" cases. In my (limited) experience, they fit the guitars the claim to fit.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
JLT

Post by JLT »

mnmusic wrote:
tommyboy wrote:
Yup, I gotta agree with that. Very strange.

Ed
But, having built a bunch of non-standard instruments and then wasted much time finding cases for them (and usually having to end up with gig bags instead), I totally get where that's coming from. It's like buying a car and finding out it won't fit into your garage. To fit the car to the garage, rather than the other way around, right?

Post by   »

Buying a case for the guitar you built that outsizes the case you have on hand will run you ~ $100.
Buying a garage for the vehicle you purchased that outsizes the garage you have on hand................
BTW, from which forums did you glean this wisdom?
JLT

Post by JLT »

tommyboy wrote: BTW, from which forums did you glean this wisdom?
I can't remember. I'm on MIMF, AGF, and the Official Luthier's Forum, so it was probably one of those three. I'm also on Luthierforum.com, but hardly ever visit there.

As I said before, I make a lot of non-standard instruments for which cases are not available (mandola, cittern, octave mandolin, and so on), so forgive me if I'm gunshy about spending a hundred bucks on a case I can't use.

I've ordered the plans, and the guy at Woodwind & Brasswind says he'll be happy to send the relevant dimensions over to his warehouse so a human person can measure the case to see if it will work. I'll let this forum know when they report back.
msloescher

Post by msloescher »

For 000s and OMs, I have used this $125 case at amazon. SKB 000 Size Acoustic Shaped Hardshell - TSA Latch, Over-Molded Handle

http://www.amazon.com/SKB-Size-Acoustic ... uitar+case
OK Work, Fairly Soon
ACME Guitars