OOO-28 underway

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: OOO-28 underway

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Rick,
Nice how you can block up your deck to be able to use the cam clamps...great thinking.
My gobar deck is the top of a cabinet, so I don't have that option.
Here is how I do my backs.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rhagen

Post by rhagen »

This morning I pulled the body out of the molds. Pretty exciting!! Routed the top and bottom flush to the sides and here is what I have. Very happy with how it has gone to this point, no mistakes so far - I guess I shouldn't say that, I'll jinx myself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Remember to keep the strings on the outside, It always worked for me
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Looks nice Rick. Great advice John.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Finally feels like you are building a guitar when you see that body come together! Congrats!!!
Slacker......
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Wow - it's coming together nicely and very quickly! I like the home made go-bar deck too. You say it only cost $20 in materials?
~ Neil
rhagen

Post by rhagen »

Neil, Yep, about that much. Partial sheet of MDF, threaded rods, washers, wingnuts. What I like is that it is adjustable in height. Low for doing bracing to top and back, higher for gluing top and back to the body.

Rick
rhagen

Post by rhagen »

I did jinx myself! When I notched the sides for the X-brace ends I notched too deep. I had to order a new strip of white binding from Stew-Mac that was a little taller to cover the notches. Once I got that I routed the top and bottom and glued it all in. Very stressful taking the router to the body, but all went well.

Rick
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Rhagen, putting a router to a guitar body sends chills up most everybody's spines. If I have another heart attack, that will be the cause. You can call the police on that!
You found a way to turn an oops into an "ahhhhhhhhhhh".
Congrats,
Bob
Bruce Dow

Post by Bruce Dow »

rhagen wrote:When I notched the sides for the X-brace ends I notched too deep. I had to order a new strip of white binding from Stew-Mac that was a little taller to cover the notches.
Been there... Done that...

(looking great! Keep it up!)