000 Neck Adjustment Nightmare

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
Bruce Dow

000 Neck Adjustment Nightmare

Post by Bruce Dow »

Hi All.

New member... been lurking for a bit... I really like the "feel" of this forum... congratulations to the moderators for keeping things very welcoming and civil here.

I have just finished a Stew-Mac 000 kit that I gave to my daughter. It was a year-long surprise project for her 16th birthday.

It is by no means perfect, but she loves it, and tells me that it plays beautifully.

I was strumming it a bit tonight, and I noticed that the neck has bowed up slightly.

No problem, says Bruce. I'll just adjust the truss rod.

I think it came with a 4 mm "Hot Rod".

But whatever I do, I can't catch it with ANY hex wrench thru the access hole in the brace.

I am stumped. I'm generally error-prone, but I can't believe I put the truss rod in backwards or upside down.

Any ideas?

Will I get to do my first neck reset only two weeks after finishing my first guitar?

Do we have a nice bonfire, and look to build a replacement for her 17th birthday?
tippie53

Re: 000 Neck Adjustment Nightmare

Post by tippie53 »

I know it is later for this but always check truss rod access before gluing in the neck. You may be able to work in the truss rod with a small chisel and use a ball end allen wrench. Take your time and think things through. You should be able to open the neck block to access that , it will just take some time and a bit of work.
If that doesn't work you can pop off the neck . keep us posted and send pics, these are the things that help others. Remember learn from others mistakes you can't make them all yourself
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Bruce Dow

Post by Bruce Dow »

Thanks for that response. You have given me hope.

Your suggestion of pictures gave me a "flash" of inspiration.

I had tried to look inside the sound hole with a mirror to see what was going on in there. But I could not get enough light to see the end of the truss rod.

I just stuck my digital camera down inside and snapped some shots. (Yah, I know... it's a bolt-on neck)

So it looks like the truss rod is in the right place. I just need to figure out why 30 minutes of fishing with all my allen keys could not catch it.

Maybe I'll be in a better mood tonight, and will achieve a better outcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freeman

Post by Freeman »

If the hot rod is their double acting T/R,, the adjuster is almost flush with the heel block - it does not extend into the upper bout like the old style Martin. It takes a really long allen wrench (and a good steady hand) to hit the adjuster hole. SM sells some long T/R wrenches, you can also try the screwdriver types or have a welder extend one for you. I have also noticed that sometimes the popsicle brace will interfere with access, I've had to file a little channel in the brace.

Like John says, I've made it a point to always check the truss rod before closing things up - with the neck off I make sure that it does in fact change the relief (and remember that a double acting rod move twice as far as a single). When I'm fitting the neck I double check the access before it finally goes on.

Another trick that I've done on my last couple with bolt on necks is to not glue the fretboard extension down for six months or so - usually the downward curve will keep it tight against the top, if not a tiny piece of double sticky tape will. That way if you have to pull the neck for any adjustments as it settles in it is very easy to do.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

I think you got some good advice here and it seems you are feeling better about your situation --- this little article should make you feel better about your build in general -- many top notch builders have let the dove tail neck joint drift off into the past.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/General ... #NeckJoint
Bruce Dow

Post by Bruce Dow »

Thanks, all.

I spent another half hour trying, but I cannot get a hex wrench to set in that nut.

My guess is that I should be trying with a 4 mm or 5/32". But I have tried a whole range of sizes.

(grrrr)
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

it may be metric. This is what we call fun LOL . I did have a guitar that someone brought to me ,he played with the truss rod and actuall removed the barrel nut then cross threaded the threads on it , This was a 1 way martin rod. I made a die to fit it and it took me about an hour to catch the thread and get the washer and barrel nut back on.
This is where you learn PATIENCE !!!!. Ahhhhh beer helps sometimes
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Bruce Dow

Post by Bruce Dow »

i am just about to pour a tall gin and tonic.

maybe a little "aiming juice" will help me.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Bruce, I think it was mentioned/suggested earlier.......but I would try a ball end hex wrench. It appears the end of the truss rod may be slanted at a slight angle or else the access hole isn't perfectly aligned. Possibly the access hole in the wood isn't letting you move the shaft of the allen wrence over far enough to line up with the allen screw recess. A ball end will go into the allen screw recess at an angle and still grip so you can turn it. Just looking at teh picture this may be a big help. StewMac may list on their website the size allen wrench you need so you can only buy one allen wrench with a ball end instead of buying a whole set <smile>. I've seen these a lot at hobby shops that carry equipment for radio contolled airplanes.

Here is a pic of a ball end hex wrench. The ball allows the tip to go in at an angle. Hobby shops often have these with screwdriver style handles.

Slacker......
Bruce Dow

Post by Bruce Dow »

Darryl.

Thanks for that clarification. I did not know about the ball-end hex sets. I'll pick one up today.

(Yay - more tools!)