Flat 'flat-top'

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
deadedith

Flat 'flat-top'

Post by deadedith »

I know the reasons for putting a slight dome in the top.
But still - has anyone here built a true Flat flat top (FFT)? Was it successful? Did you do anything else differently on that instrument as to bracing etc?
This was prompted by a mention in Somogyi's book of great guitars that were FFT.
Inquiring minds want to know.
Thanks
Dave B
Ben-Had

Re: Flat 'flat-top'

Post by Ben-Had »

I'll let you know, I'm working on one now and should be done in about 8 weeks.

Tim
Tim Benware
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Cool. It would be fun to see your progress from time to time.
Dave B
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Yeah, so I've heard. :-) But why did he choose FFT? What has he done to compensate for the advantages of a domed top?
What does he see as an advantage to FFT?

Anybody got ideas?

Dave B
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

BTW, google r taylor guitars and check out that site. Wow.
Dave B
Freeman

Post by Freeman »

Many classicals are truely flat on top -is that what Somogyi is refering to? Also, lots of the old ladder braced guitars were flat on top. Lastly, my tricone's top is also flat.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Somogyi was talking steel string.
I got this from the R Taylor site:
If your taste leans toward the "played-in" sound of a great vintage guitar, consider this top geometry. Because the top is under less compression than other bracing patterns, it is able to vibrate freely at lower dynamic levels. This produces a warm, round, and balanced sound. An excellent choice for players who require detail and nuance with a musical "cushion" around each note.
mjmeehan

Post by mjmeehan »

This thread makes me feel better about what happened to my current build. When I braced the top all was well, radius-wise, but when I glued it to the sides I lost a lot of curvature, mostly from the middle of the soundhole forward. Not truly flat, but not too far off.

I know, I know... buy a radius dish!
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Like I said, I know the reasons for the domed top, and was like you surprised to see it offered on R Taylor. I've been trying to think what mods he might make to overcome the deficiencies.
Thanks for the input, I'm with you on this.
Dave B
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

I'm with Running Dog and Deadedith, too.
Even as a novice, I can see the overwhelming benefit of a dome, no matter how slight for the very reason that Running Dog stated. There has to be some "play", for lack of a better word, to keep from cracking the top.
Bob