Builders Poll

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
JJDonohue

Builders Poll

Post by JJDonohue »

Sorry...I originally posted this in a different section and should have posted it here. So I copied it and posted it where I think it belongs:

As a relative newbie to the forum, I wanted to take the time to get to know the members as well as to get a feel for the levels of experience. In the process, it's possible that others might just learn a little more about each other. In the end, I think an occasional poll helps to establish a closer sense of community and friendship. As one of the charter members of the OLF, I can tell you that it was fun and helpful to get to know each other and grow together over a lot of years. Hopefully, similar positive experiences have already occurred and will continue to occur here.

Obviously, if the forum is primarily for kitbuilders then kits will probably be the primary source of building materials. Inevitably, a good number of builders will venture into scratch builds and become more creative in design and methods. At that point, the value of the more experienced builders should be even more helpful. So anyway, here's just a few elements that should get the introductions going. Feel free to add more.

1) Name
2) Location
3) Years building
4) Guitars completed
5) # of Kits plus # of scratch builds
6) Purchase or build necks, bridges, FBs, etc.
7) Other info you feel is important for all to know

OK...I'll go first since I started the thread:

1) JJ Donohue

2) Winona Lake, IN

3) I started building in 2002.

4 &5) Completed 20 acoustic and 5 electric guitars so far. My first guitar (OM) was a kit from John Hall who gave me my first taste of guitar heroin! I also built 2 acoustics which I smashed and burned...things got terribly out of whack and unrecoverable. Instead of making something that I would never be proud of, I destroyed the evidence of my early incompetence. I mention this only because these were some of my best lessons and ended up making me a better builder. I'm also interested in building mandolins and ukuleles. I've been working on an A-style mando for a year now. Hopefully I'll finish it this year. My first 10 guitars were gifted to my sons, brothers and friends. Many have now been played hard for as long as 8 years and have taught me to continue that which has worked and that which needs to be improved. As a result of that field work and feedback, I finally acquired the appropriate confidence and belief in my work and started taking commissions over a year ago.

6) I build all my own wooden components. I consider the neck to be the most intimate and important component for players and take the time to get all of the little details right. Nothing wrong with buying necks but making your own will take you to a much different level.

7) I'm here because 2 of my most influential guitar-building community friends are here. I owe so much to the effort and help from 3 people, John Hall, Bob Cefalu and Mario Proulx. All three have guitars named in their honor. I can never repay them so I honor their influence by giving forward. One of the great things about trying to help by teaching is that it forces us to question everything which helps to make us better craftsmen. In addition, every forum has its own personality and by visiting many, it prevents me from becoming stale and helps me to keep my mind open to others' experiences, methods and results.

OK...after spilling my guts, I hope others will now chime in. Thanks in advance for contributing...JJ
tippie53

Re: Builders Poll

Post by tippie53 »

1) Name
John Hall
2) Location
Hegins PA
3) Years building
since 1998 12 years
4) Guitars completed
5) # of Kits plus # of scratch builds
1 kit 111 scratch
6) Purchase or build necks, bridges, FBs, etc.
Often purchase but have made fretboards bridges and necks.
7) Other info you feel is important for all to know
For you electric guys out there here is a link that is great for wiring schematics
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/
Acoustic guys , here is a great link for bracing
http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.y ... /topic/847
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

1) Darryl Young
2) Springdale, AR
3) Started my first kit in 2009
4) Guitars completed - 1/2 (should start finishing in a month or so and will upgrade to 3/4!!! yeah)
5) # of Kits plus # of scratch builds - 0.5 kit builds
6) Purchase or build necks, bridges, FBs, etc.:
For the near future will purchase necks. May make my own bridge for first build, still debating.
7) Other info you feel is important for all to know:
I play guitar, mandolin, and bass. I like most all genre of music but gospel and bluegrass may be my favorite. I've played several old Martins that I love so I'm trying to produce that type sound in my builds. Since my first build is an OM, it will be interesting to see what kind of bass and what kind of "cut" it has (likely less than a dreadnaught). One day will build a mandolin but not soon. A friend wants me to build a Dobro for him so may try that soon. Would like to build a parlor size for playing on the couch and for my youngest daughter. The OM is for my 3 beautiful daughters and finding a guitar for them is what started this journey.
Slacker......
JRHall

Post by JRHall »

1) Jim Hall
2) Columbia, SC
3) Years building, 5
4) Guitars completed 11
5) # of Kits, 1 # of scratch builds 10
6) Purchase or build necks, bridges, FBs, So far I've used all Martin necks bridges and FBs except 1 bubinga bridge.
7) Don't build your dream guitar as your first build unless you do it under the instruction of an experience teacher like John Hall.
If you can't do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
Freeman

Post by Freeman »

1 - Freeman Keller
2 - Wenatchee, Washington
3 - years building - 5 (built a dulcimer 15 but that doesn't count)
4 - Guitars finished (in order) - Kovacik 000 (kit), LMI classical (kit), Hall OM string (kit), Siminoff mandolin (kit), LMI parlor (kit), ladder braced 12 string (scratch), wood tricone (scratch)
5 - # kits/ scratch - 5/2
6 - I've carved one neck (the long scale 12 string), have purchased premade fretboards, necks and bridges for everything else and will probably continue to do so.
7 - As an engineer I seem to get interested in the how and why of the various hobbies I take up which means sooner or later I end up working on or building them. When I raced power boats I built my own, built a few racing bicycles during that part of my life, and work on the old cars that accumulate in my garage. Guess it was inevitable that I'd try building a guitar or two.

I truely appreciate the help of all of the folks who I've met through this endevor - I have found them to be helpful, informative, and fun to talk to.
ixamnis

Post by ixamnis »

1) Mark A. Judd
2) Great Bend, Kansas
3) Starting building my first kit in June, so ... 1/6th of a year
4) None completed, yet.
5) My first build is a serviced LMI kit
6) At this point, LMI has shaped the neck, bridge, etc. I'm anxious to get past a few guitars and "get the feel" of this so that I can start creating my own. In particular, I'm anxious to experiment a little with pinless bridges, alternate bracing methods, side sound ports, etc.
7) I have no real intention to make this a full time business, however, I'd really like to build maybe 2 or 3 guitars a year. Maybe more, once I get the hang of things.
darren

Post by darren »

1) Darren Viss

2) Williams Bay, Wi

3) 1.5

4) 1 (#2 almost ready for finishing... )

5) #1 was an unserviced lmi kit, which in my opinion is a scratch build where all the wood is shipped to you at once :) . #2 is scratch from several suppliers, top and b/s wood from Notable Tonewoods (thanks Bruce)

6) have not purchased a pre-made neck, FB or bridge yet, though it's not out of the question. I enjoy making necks but it sure takes some time.. making fretboards goes by too fast (kind of like carving braces), but I have not yet found an enjoyable method to making bridges; though I'm only struggling through my second at the moment. The only thing I've bought 'ready to install' has been tuners.

7) #3's parts are slowly collecting in my basement... a peruvian walnut/ redwood L-OO. I found Bill's site while doing research on fixing up an old FG-335 and the stewmac/lmi catalogs soon arrived at my door. A few months later I had the wood for #1 and was registered for Robbie O'Brien's class at Red Rocks Community College. Class only lasted a few sessions for me (too long of a drive...) and I hit the internet big time to continue working on the guitar. the rest is history. Thanks to everyone here for posting (and answering) questions that got me this far. It's amazing and exciting how much there is ahead to learn...
Darren
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

John Parchem

Seattle Washington

6 months

I finished an LMI seviced classical, I am halfway through a John Hall D28 kit, also helping my daughter finish a Sega Les Paul type electric guitar.

No scratch builds yet, but plan to build scratch next.

So far all my kits include a neck, fretboard and bridge.

I am just having fun, my son is going to collage this year and my daughter is not far behind.
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

1) Bob Moore
2) Nacogdoches, Texas (the oldest town in Texas)
3) 3/4 - I started Christmas day
4) One finished, working on a 2nd acoustic and an electric
5) All 3 are kits
6) Purchased necks, bridges, FBs, etc.
7) I enjoy building from a kit because the equipment for doing scratch builds is more than I want to spend. Once I make guitars for my kids and then a 2nd one for myself, I'll probably find a reason to make 1 or 2 a year for some good reason (like......"Hey, it's Monday, I think I'll make a guitar). Seems like a good enough reason to me. I had a touch of inlaying on this 2nd build, so I'm thinking of doing more elaborate inlays in the near future. It's a combination of tediousness and precision and exhilaration to me. Will also be spraying this finish and excited about that effort. May find a niche somewhere in there. I've really enjoyed the support from the members here. Anytime I ask a question, I get good advice - every time.

Bob
dandenson

Post by dandenson »

1. Dan Denson

2. McKinney, Texas

3. About 1 1/2 years building. Many years woodworking

4. One completed. Finishing second.

5. My first was a Stew-Mac drednaught kit in rosewood with a bolt-on neck. My second is a scratch-built small jumbo from Scott Antes plans. It is Australian blackwood with ebony binding, bridge, and fretboard. The top is bearclaw sitka.

6. LMI slotted the fretboard and bent the sides and binding for me. All else was scratch. Now I have a Fox bender, so the next ones will be all scratch built. I have a lot of walnut and mahogany on hand from woodworking projects, so I don't think the next few will be so expensive to make.

7. I wish I had kept better records on how I shaved the braces for #1. Number 2 is a great looking build, but if it sounds as good as #1 it will be by accident. The workmanship on #2 is nearly perfect, but my waterborne finish has blushed very badly. Finishing is truly the Achilles heel of building. Even though i mostly lurk, this forum has been very valuable to me. Thanks, everyone for your help.

Dan