Bridge glue

General Information about Building Kit Guitars
kencierp

Re: Bridge glue

Post by kencierp »

Those darn Engineers are always testing stuff!

http://www.titebond.com/Download/pdf/Ho ... ue_FWW.pdf
Darryl Young

Re: Bridge glue

Post by Darryl Young »

JJDonohue wrote:Darryl...I've been using FG for a lot of applications over the years. I have not used it for bridges. Just remember that it takes far longer than HHG to set up. I'd wait at least 48 hours before stringing up just to be safe. Also, cleaning squeezeout is always much more messy than HHG squeezeout. If your clamps interfere with this it could present a problem. With HHG, after 20 minutes, I actually release the clamps to clean up and then re-apply the clamps. I would never consider that with FG since it takes much longer...you might want to experiment with scrap to find out a suitable time that you could release clamps and still be able to clean. Let us know!

But here's the critical question..."What advantage do you expect from using FG?"
JJ, good points and I will surely ponder them before I glue the bridge in place. I actually would prefer to use HHG. I've never used it before......and currently don't have a warmer (though that could easily be remedied). More importantly, I'm unsure a bridge is the best place to try my first HHG joint (it's also my first bridge glueing experience with any glue). As others have mentioned, I'm a little concerned about getting everything clamped in place before the glue sets.

I've used fish glue on the entire build with the exception of binding/purfling (Duco Cement) and the fretboard (epoxy). The reason I chose fish glue is it's resistance to creep (like HHG) but with a longer working time. I'm now familiar with it so it doesn't seem intimidating. About the only other benefit is I have it on-hand.

With that said, I'm listening on the squeeze out issue. I had to clean up fish glue squeeze out when I glued the bracing to the soundboard and it was no fun. If Running Dog hadn't told me about De-Glue Goo,........well, it would have been much worse.
Slacker......