Mahogany vs. Spruce top?

Morecowbell

Mahogany vs. Spruce top?

Post by Morecowbell »

At some point I'm going to build a 000 slot head and wanted to see if I can learn more about mahogany soundboards. I just watched a youtube video of a Martin 000-15SM and the guitar sounds amazing, which made be realize that I don't think I would consider a mahogany top if I were building it and maybe I'm missing something? It seems that 99.9% of builder discussion is about various spruce or cedar tops, does mahogany sounds just as good? And if you go down this road where do you find them, do they need to be quartersawn. any difference in thickness & bracing, etc?

Thanks!
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
jread

Re: Mahogany vs. Spruce top?

Post by jread »

Just my 2 cents worth. All mahogany at 1st glance seemed like a niche to me. I listen to some artists playing them and like the sound so built some. I tell you, everyone who picks up my all mahogany 0 says it's my best sounding guitar. I've made 0's and 00's and they sound just great. I've made mine with Martin long scale like their 0-15/00-15. Bright, woody, and full of sound. I look forward to making a 000 and Dred. To me, they are a great 2nd guitar if your main guitar has a spruce top. They compliment each other very well. One recording engineer told me that with an all mahogany guitar, it's session ready. Just mic it up and play, they have a unique sound that doesn't need fixing in a mix to blend or separate from more traditional spruce top guitar sounds.

On my wish list along this vein, I want to try Sycamore tops on mahogany body.

I generally re-saw mahogany from standard 5/4 stock at my lumber shop. They source from Africa. I don't know the cut but the grain is vertical and I look for this when selecting pieces. I have also bought excellent Honduras mahogany sets (back/sides/tops) from RC Tonewoods, and Exotic Wood Zone. Email them and ask for a nice top if they are only offering back and side sets. Same wood. Or like me, I just find two back/side sets on sale and keep the extra sides. I have a pile of them and want to make a 3 piece back or uke's with them someday.

Also, I use spruce bracing as does Martin. Final note, Mahogany takes water soluable dye very well for sunburst tops or bodies.
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

That's really helpful, thanks for all the info!

As I was poking around I found this comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF2gA3RGX88

I'm sort of baffled because the woods seem so different in so many ways, but if I didn't know which was which I don't know which one I'd like better. Super interesting.
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
jread

Post by jread »

Great comparison video. Hard to decide! They both are super nice guitars. We have a 00-17L and it is a very clean and nice build. No frills, satin finish, affordable, and a very solid build. Martin makes such nice guitars.

This tips it for me, my next build after the one I'm working on will be an all mahogany 000. thanks for posting.